Right, I'm stumped.
A few weeks ago my daughter installed Sony's software for her mp3 player on my XP boot and I started to get random lockups. No BSODs or restarts, just system freezing.
This was happening all over the place for no apparent reason; it would happen while browsing, gaming or even idling with background downloading, defragging or virus scanning.
I unstalled the Sony app and dug out the parts it left behind and it seemed to be OK for a while then started locking up again.
I have a dual boot with Vista Ultimate x64 that is absolutely rock-solid. Not a jot of trouble with it.
I've gone straight into the BIOS hardware monitor after a freeze to make sure temps aren't high and they're normal for this system - ~55C per core etc. - so I've discounted that.
I ran memtest 86 v3.4 for the whole day I was at work and it came up clean.
After that I booted into Vista and stress tested the CPU with Prime95 for two hours without issue.
OK, I've been meaning to go over fully to Vista so I bought a new HDD on Sunday and set about installing clean with my original HDDs disconnected.
Would you believe that this installation started locking up after the first couple of reboots?
I racked my brain eariler to come up with whatever I've done differently with this Vista install compared with the stable dual-boot on my old IDE drive and the only thing I could come up sith was that I hadn't installed Perfectdisk on the stable install, so I uninstalled that.
Well it seemed to be fine but the machine locked up again in the middle of installing Office.
I'm currently in my XP boot and hoping it's gonna hold long enough to post this!
Any possible clues would be most graciously accepted; I'm at my wit's end with this.
Relevant system specs:
Athlon x64 X2 5200+
Asus M2N32-sli deluxe wifi
2x Samsung 512MB 667MHz
1x Kingston 1024MB 667MHz
Samsung 250GB SATA
Maxtor 250GB IDE
Maxtor 250GB SATA
Lite-On DVDRW SATA
Asus GE7300 gfx