Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So lets be COMMUNITY!

Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Hi so here on fst we always talk about community right? RIGHT!. So fst being the largest torrent oriented forum around i think we should have some pull in the torrent community.
    What i would like talk about is region banning, there are alot of top torrent sites (bitme,bitmetv,sct....) that are banning whole regions from like israel romania and otheres from there sites because of a small number of users who cheat,hit and run and so forth. I think this is unfair to allot of users and should be stopped once and for all!
    so lets try and get together and sign a petition and make these sites friendly to users of all nationality's

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Try to take the issue up with the site owners.

If they don't want people from certain countrys then that's just how it is they can do as they please so just accept it and get on with your day otherwise you're just starting trouble for everybody.

Once the countrys that are banned start to prove they are not just problems then they will consider leting them in so just wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by sleepyy; 01-22-2008 at 11:41 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    kyuuchi's Avatar <O.O> BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    I don't think sites ban whole country region just because of few ungrateful members, it is most likely its repeated offenses by a large amount of users or something really serious that lead to that decision.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Totti View Post
    Hi so here on fst we always talk about community right? RIGHT!. So fst being the largest torrent oriented forum around i think we should have some pull in the torrent community.
    What i would like talk about is region banning, there are alot of top torrent sites (bitme,bitmetv,sct....) that are banning whole regions from like israel romania and otheres from there sites because of a small number of users who cheat,hit and run and so forth. I think this is unfair to allot of users and should be stopped once and for all!
    so lets try and get together and sign a petition and make these sites friendly to users of all nationality's
    Small number of users from those countries lol

when we open the doors we get about 5000 new users, 4000 are from brazil (for some reason we are huge in brazil) and out of those i would say 3700 are cheats, or make multiple accounts, or any number of bad users.

tbh the ony reason we "havnt" banned the whole country is because there are "some" good users (i think there are 8000+ brazilians on blackcats) and one of our staff members is from there.

But i can understand why trackers ban entire IP ranges or Countries as its a pain the the ass to go through and ban them all.

another point as well. its one of the reasons we are staying closed, for the amount of cheaters we do get in when we open.

so that means everyone else that wants to get in from other countries cant because we do not ban a country, we are just banning anyone else from signing up (so whats better?)

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    Quote Originally Posted by Totti View Post
    there are alot of top torrent sites (bitme,bitmetv,sct....) that are banning whole regions from like israel romania and otheres from there sites because of a small number of users who cheat,hit and run and so forth. I think this is unfair to allot of users and should be stopped once and for all!
    well i agree that is unfair to ban hole region,but surely u will not do much abouth the rest of if...

also these 3 u mention are not the only one who have banned countrys..there are few more so this is much bigger problem and probably the have very good reasone for that..

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    As stoi pointed out in his own eloquent way it is not a small number of cheaters. On some sites it got to the point where there were more cheats than good users from certain countries. The staff can't spend all their time concentrating their efforts on constantly finding these cheaters so the only option is to mass ban users from that country.

If the good users from those countries want to do something productive then try educating your fellow countrymen. That's what community is about!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BamZow's Avatar Pure Swedish power BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Itīs their trackers. They do whatever they want.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    it's not only in bittorrent, in dc, for example, the italians, hungarians and romanians clearly do cheat a lot (fake share, fake client, etc.)
    whereas, cheater are MUCH rarer in countries like sweden, netherlands, etc.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    As stated several times before.
    It might not be fair, to the amount of users that follow the rules. But in the countries that are banned. The trend seems to go to, more users cheating than the users that follow the rules. On some sites, the users even looked up other users from the same country sending them PMs and posting on forums in their native languish explaining to them how they could cheat to maintain ratio.
    So ofc mods gets pissed and then finally when they have had it they just decide to ban everyone.

The people from those country needs to change the attitude for filesharing. Why on earth should several users like myslef pay for boxes only so that you guys can bennefit for it without ever giving anything back to the community.

What you guys could do would be to make an tracker only for people form the banned countries, and see how well it works.
    I am guessing the stats would show something like:
    1 seeder 400 leechers 0 snatches and 400Tb seeded on the latest episode of PB.

For this trend to change, you need to change the mind for the majority of your fellow country men. And that simply not going to happen before your country gets better upload capacity. The cheaters wants all the benefits from the private trackers and dont want to take part in actual sharing.

For those few soles that actually follow the rules, well it have to suck. But dont blame mods that are only trying to make their sites better for all the users. Just blame the living next door to you instead. Or try to get the isp's to follow the standards the rest of the world provide.
    My e-penis is so big it makes John Holmes look like a little boy.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Is there a possiblity that the numbers of cheaters from a particular country is inflated? My theory is that a person who cheat will have multiple accounts. If one account is banned he will try to get another. So in the end one cheater is seen as; say 10 cheaters. On the other hand a good user will be seen as one account holder.

The result: Let say we have 1000 account from the same country. And lets' say 90% are cheaters. That is 900 accounts but those account come 900/10
    =90 users. and not from 900 users.

Just a thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast