Thread: taking computer snapshot on mac

batelray's Avatar n00b
    hey how it going i have a macbook pro and i was wondering how would i take a image of what im viewing on my computer i wanted to show off my download/upload rate and share ratio on transmission.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    have you ever heard of google?

This simple search:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

produced this answer in seconds:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_S...ts_in_Mac_OS_X

Shortcuts

* Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
    * Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
    * Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
    * Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
    * Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
    * Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

In Leopard, the following keys can be held down while selecting an area (via Command-Shift-4 or Command-Control-Shift-4):

* Space, to lock the size of the selected region and instead move it when the mouse moves
    * Shift, to resize only one edge of the selected region
    * Option, to resize the selected region with its center as the anchor point

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by batelray View Post
    hey how it going i have a macbook pro and i was wondering how would i take a image of what im viewing on my computer i wanted to show off my download/upload rate and share ratio on transmission.
    First up are those keyboard shortcuts, since they're the handiest and are fairly versatile. Pressing Command-Shift-3 is quick 'n dirty - it snaps your entire screen and saves it as a .PNG file on the Desktop (.PDF if you're on Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar or 10.3 Panther). Command-Shift-4 offers a bit more flexibility, as it turns your mouse cursor into a set of cross-hairs, allowing you to click and drag over just the region you want to capture. An even cooler trick of this second shortcut is that, once you have enabled the cross-hairs, you can press the spacebar to enable a window capture mode; mouse over any open window and it will glow a light transparent blue. Click, and just that window is captured, with no background images or extra border padding. Again, it is saved as a .PNG to the Desktop (and for the record, there are free and commercial utilities available that can edit the location to which screenshots are saved).
    Next on the 'you already have it' list is Grab, a dedicated screenshot app that Apple keeps in /Applications/Utilities. Why they virtually hide it from the common user by stuffing it in that folder we don't know, but it's a useful app nonetheless. Grab does a lot of the same things the aforementioned keyboard shortcuts do, but it has a few handy tricks up its sleeve. First, in addition to the various capture modes (entire display, window, custom, etc.), Grab can also take a delayed screenshot, in case you need time to set things up just right that you can't catch otherwise. Also, instead of blindly saving everything you snap to the desktop, Grab immediately opens whatever you just captured in a preview window, allowing you to chose to actually save or simply discard the shot. Strangely, the Grab app uses .TIFF - not .PNG - to save screenshots, though the utilities for tweaking screenshot behaviors can also adjust these default screenshot format preferences as well.

join the mac social group.