Thread: Sweden to indict Pirate Bay owners by end of month

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The Pirate Bay's days are increasingly looking numbered as Sweden will move this week to press charges against its owners for copyright infringement."

"Charges will be filed in a district court in the country on January 31. If the owners are successfully convicted, they may be forced to pay fines and spend up to two years in jail.

While the actual copyrighted material is not hosted on The Pirate Bay's own servers, its search engine actively links to material elsewhere. This makes the site's owners what are called accessories to the crime of copyright infringement.

Both the IFPI and MPAA have been calling for Sweden to come down hard on the site's owners, and that pressure seems to be apparently finally be paying off. However, the site remains defiant, saying it cannot be held responsible for others hosting pirated material.

A Pirate Bay spokesperson told Reuters that there was no legal grounds for the charges, and called them "idiotic." But the Swedish government sees it otherwise, although it said that it would take more than just legal action in that country to take it down.

Due to the decentralized nature of the BitTorrent protocol, the infrastructure for the site is spread across many countries. Thus, a guilty verdict may not stop the site, and its owners are vowing to continue on."

Source: BetaNews
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I havn't used the pirate bay in ages, but either way i doubt they'll go down. at worst they'll relocate, cause they've already said they have servers waiting elsewhere for an emergency

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    snowultra's Avatar Member
    me either, i used pirate bay once. this is sad news either way though.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    They attract alot of attention if you ask me
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Aaxel21's Avatar AHHHHH!
    I don't think they care. They seem to think that they can't get hurt because of this. They are going to be sad when they meet a corrupt judge. But putting them in jail would only make things worse for the sweden's government
    Remember bullets always have the right of way.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    This thing just give them more attention, i don't know how many times i've see this name Pirate Bay but i think a thousand times already....
    They got millions of people to feed and i don't think it will go down so easily.
    They are feeding the masses remember...

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Yinon's Avatar Pointless line BT Rep: +1
    PB has over 10,000,000 users, and if they are taken down all their users will go to other public trackers, which might result in servers overload.
    -------
    A bitme.org invite is highly welcomed (: