Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how exactly is an account "stolen"

Quote Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
    As other have said majoirty is just bad trades, or people lending accounts to "friends" over the internet. However an old style attempt, not many know of is the email fish(just made up name now).
    Its where you get the person on msn, and start talking to them about everyday things. After a few days this person will try recover the pass on your email account, and encounter the rcovery question. Usually people put this shit as "What is your pets name?" Then the person fishes for the info, and when they get it, they change pass on email, recover pass on all torrent sites, login into sites, and change password again etc. Then they put stalling tricks into place to slow the person down, so its harder for them to recover.

The only other trick i know is where you create a shitty torrent site, and get people to sign up onto it then check there account/pass against other dbs, and hope you get some right.

Its a tricky world out there.
    thanks panda, ill get right on this. i hope www.joinmytorrentsite.com isnt taken

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Once mails containing malwares were sent as if they are from fb, rabbit (?) and few others that can sent out cookies from your computer, but i don't know how successful they are in stealing accounts.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    But the heart of the matter, is that it is traded a/c's that get 'stolen' most often, apart from the database debacles as DV8 said (remember when 14 tracker db's were hit in one day ?).It is simple trading is a grey area, it is against tracker rules for several reasons that have been gone into ad nauseum before, but it also introduces the unknown i.e. how 'honest' is the trader. Alot of traders enjoy the buzz of trading and to them ripping an a/c from an unsuspecting n00b is just all the more sweet a victory, this is not all traders but this is how most a/c's get stolen.
    It is a tough old world out there, if you chose to trade, you have very little understanding from staff, and there is the constant danger that someone is going to trade and then take back the a/c or if you are a complete n00b at trading and use a similar name/password you can lose more than 1 a/c and this does happen.
    As a kind of proof, the next time you see a 'help my account is stolen' thread here in the bt section look back at the thread starters posts, within the last week you will find the posts leading up to the a/c trade.
    The simplest form of security to make sure your a/c's don't get 'stolen' is not to trade them...............

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    "my account was stolen" just sounds a lot better than "i was scammed in a trade".

it also may result in people posting "oh i'm so sorry, those bad bad hackers who steal accounts. hopefully wou will get it back." rather than "don't trade and you don't get scammed"

"stolen" means that your account details are known to a stranger against your own will.

in most cases here the "bad account hacking stealer" got the username and password presented in a pm.

all he needed to do is offer the victim a high level tracker for a trade.

nevertheless there are victims of real account thievery and hackers.

what occurs is the old dilemma that people/staff have a hard time to believe the innocent because of the majority of account traders/scammers.
    (same goes for "i didn't cheat/was banned for no reason" which was already discussed in another thread)

"stolen" translates "scammed" (at least most of the time)

it's just another case where scammers and traders hurt the reputation of good and honest users and make them look not authentic.

i wish people would stop pretending to be victims of account theft when they in fact just got scammed by one of their dealers.

that would help the good users who really have problems with their account a lot to get the fair treatment they deserve.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    "my account was stolen" just sounds a lot better than "i was scammed in a trade".

it also may result in people posting "oh i'm so sorry, those bad bad hackers who steal accounts. hopefully wou will get it back." rather than "don't trade and you don't get scammed"

"stolen" means that your account details are known to a stranger against your own will.

in most cases here the "bad account hacking stealer" got the username and password presented in a pm.

all he needed to do is offer the victim a high level tracker for a trade.

nevertheless there are victims of real account thievery and hackers.

what occurs is the old dilemma that people/staff have a hard time to believe the innocent because of the majority of account traders/scammers.
    (same goes for "i didn't cheat/was banned for no reason" which was already discussed in another thread)

"stolen" translates "scammed" (at least most of the time)

it's just another case where scammers and traders hurt the reputation of good and honest users and make them look not authentic.

i wish people would stop pretending to be victims of account theft when they in fact just got scammed by one of their dealers.

that would help the good users who really have problems with their account a lot to get the fair treatment they deserve.
    +1 on that post polarbear.
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    they got punished for their own actions (trading accounts)

they deserved it

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    IMO, MY account stolen = my account deleted in a day or two.
    So better not to post it here if you can't protect your account.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    thanks again for the suggestions

i wonder how the staff deals with this issue

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Trades gone wrong. Thats why i always say to just earn it and not have to deal with that bullshit. It's really tiresome. People tend to be stupid now of days. I would never lend anyone an account, thats just asking that person, hey? steal my account.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    Trades gone wrong. Thats why i always say to just earn it and not have to deal with that bullshit. It's really tiresome. People tend to be stupid now of days. I would never lend anyone an account, thats just asking that person, hey? steal my account.
    Really depends what kind of trust you have with your friends. I let my friends borrow my sites as does they let me. Obviously not torrent site, but things worth real value like steam accounts.

Someone invite me to fsc please

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast