Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bittorrent Vs. newsgroup

kayvanblue's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    should i use bittorrent or the newsgroups? help plz

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    Both. If you can't find something on BitTorrent, use Newsgroups, and vice versa.

You can also use them in conjunction with each other. When you download something from Newsgroups, you can seed it on a BT site. I often do this when my ratio is low, and if I download it from the torrent site, it'll get worse, so I d/l it on Newsgroups and then seed it to up my ratio.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I'm Awesome!
    what would be the best program to d/l off the newsgroups for a noob?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler0630
    what would be the best program to d/l off the newsgroups for a noob?

Make that two NoObs , I'm just trying Grabit now at the moment , but off to read a little more .

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    GrabIt is just fine. I used it when I first started out. I'm currently using Newsleecher though.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Doesn't success with newsgroups depend on what newsgroups you can access through your ISP?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Some Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by adyf
    Doesn't success with newsgroups depend on what newsgroups you can access through your ISP?
    I'm also curious on the best client and this question. I've never dived into the whole newsgroup scene and have heard it's a very good resource. What's a good site on where to read up on this that includes a small howto?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Retired
    I prefer usenet/newsgroups because I can always download with full speed (8mbit). Almost all bittorrent trackers only have new releases.

Newsleecher is the best usenet/newsgroup download program. I don't like Grabit because it uses much more memory.
    Most IPS's have a free newsserver, but those free servers don't have all groups and have a low retention. Using a payserver will give you 38+ days retention and have all groups.(i use Eweka [Dutch only] and I pay 7,50 a month).

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I use NewsBin Pro for newsgroups.

The best way to see how good your ISP's usenet service is, is to install something like Newsleecher, Grabit or NBP and download the headers of some alt.binaries.* groups. You'll see which groups are carried and be able to see what sort of retention and completion they offer.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by irascible
    Quote Originally Posted by adyf
    I'm also curious on the best client and this question. I've never dived into the whole newsgroup scene and have heard it's a very good resource. What's a good site on where to read up on this that includes a small howto?
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast