Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: She didn't choose abortion?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I'm saying prayers for this incredible woman:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1799
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quite an emotional story.

I hope the son continues to do well...

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    I would have liked to have known what chance of survival the doctors gave her if she started chemo straight away compared to if she waited until her son was born. Bowel cancer is still the worst type for treatment and recovery to my knowledge, so if the prognosis was bad even if she started chemo straight away I can understand her decision. It would be logical to accept that you are likely to die anyway so it's best to give the life inside you a chance. If however the prognosis was good depending on immediate treatment I would call it damn irresponsible to deny your children their mother to allow something that isn't really even alive yet to survive.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It would be interesting to read what the father had to say . Looking at his picture and his red eyes is heart breaking . I'm torn between thinking what a brave , unselfish woman to what was she thinking leaving behind the rest of the family . For what it's worth I know what I would of begged my wife to do .

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    what a brave woman she is !

For Serving Community

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    I would have liked to have known what chance of survival the doctors gave her if she started chemo straight away compared to if she waited until her son was born. Bowel cancer is still the worst type for treatment and recovery to my knowledge, so if the prognosis was bad even if she started chemo straight away I can understand her decision. It would be logical to accept that you are likely to die anyway so it's best to give the life inside you a chance. If however the prognosis was good depending on immediate treatment I would call it damn irresponsible to deny your children their mother to allow something that isn't really even alive yet to survive.
    I should think (in the interest of female solidarity) you'd agree the decision was hers to make, and leave it at that.

It is apparent she reposed quite a bit of confidence in her husband to provide a proper environment for the children, and took that into account in making her decision.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

I should think (in the interest of female solidarity) you'd agree the decision was hers to make, and leave it at that.

It is apparent she reposed quite a bit of confidence in her husband to provide a proper environment for the children, and took that into account in making her decision.
    No, I don't make a habit of letting people's sex influence what I think of their actions, and I'm surprised you'd expect me to. The fact that she and I both possess a vagina is neither here nor there.

As it turns out, I read in the paper today that it was always going to be terminal cancer and it was only a matter of prolonging her life or not. So it sounds like she made the only sensible decision in the circumstances.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    No, I don't make a habit of letting people's sex influence what I think of their actions, and I'm surprised you'd expect me to. The fact that she and I both possess a vagina is neither here nor there.
    Well put, and, though I'm a bit nonplussed at your (initial) perfunctory rejection of her decision to place the baby's life before her own, I hope you don't mind that I used the ploy to elicit a more substantial response.

As it turns out, I read in the paper today that it was always going to be terminal cancer and it was only a matter of prolonging her life or not. So it sounds like she made the only sensible decision in the circumstances.
    I hope as well you've correctly concluded I would question the sensibility of abortion in most of the circumstances it is practiced.

This is not to say I believe you have revealed to me your own thoughts on abortion.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Well put, and, though I'm a bit nonplussed at your (initial) perfunctory rejection of her decision to place the baby's life before her own, I hope you don't mind that I used the ploy to elicit a more substantial response.
    Not at all, although in my opinion my first post was more substantial than my second so perhaps you didn't achieve that goal. If you would like to know whether I think there would be any sense in this woman sacrificing an otherwise excellent prognosis for a pregnancy then I would say no. I would say she had children and I imagine a family and friends who had a greater claim on her life than a foetus. But that's all hypothetical since that wasn't the case here.

I hope as well you've correctly concluded I would question the sensibility of abortion in most of the circumstances it is practiced.

This is not to say I believe you have revealed to me your own thoughts on abortion.
    That first sentence is making my brain bleed. You hope I have assumed that you think abortion isn't sensible on the whole? Why would you hope that and why would I assume it without being told?

I believe abortion in the first trimester should be freely available to all women who want it for whatever reason they want it. After that I believe it should only be available if a woman's life is in danger otherwise.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Incidentally J2K4...this is interesting. Do you admire this woman for her sacrifice of a few months of her life, or just for not contravening your own moral code?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast