Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help setting up my seedbox

Hello & thanks for reading..

I recently invested in a dedicated web server so that I could setup a seedbox for my torrents and such as I cap & upload a few GB per week and its hogging my home connection & one of the pc's. I thought it would be quite simple and that I could just go to the given IP address and upload a few progs then take it from there...

Oh no I cant. I don't even know how to login to the server itself. I have been given a username and password but I dont know where to begin.

I'm presuming that I have to work this through commands because I dont have direct access to the keys/mouse/monitor of my server, but using what client and the commands im supposed to use I dont have a clue where to start!

I have a good general knowledge about computers, but PHP/HTTP and the like are beyond me.. currently.

CoreNetworks.net setup my server running; Linux Ubuntu Server 7.10 and installed Apache 2.2.4 & MySQL 5.2.3 for me, thats pretty much as far as i've came.

I've googled for several hours and cant seem to get anywhere, now im begging for help, please, please can anyone give me some direction to go in.

Many thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    I think you have to use remote desktop. (not really sure though) If you are using windows search MS's site for remote desktop.

I wont be any more help than this but im sure someone else will.

Edit: I see you are on Linux, sorry Good luck
    Last edited by That1Guy; 01-26-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DoN BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Linux Ubuntu ermmm try Putty......Google "Putty" ..

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Ok, im on with Putty, thanks. Now all I need to do is figure out how to upload things and install them, lol.

Thanks for the putty prog though, now I can at least connect.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Time for a crash course in Linux ......... sorry but there isn't anyway around it, with the PuTTY program you now have shell access to the server but you need to install and configure the programs you want to set it up as a seedbox, you use apt (advanced package tool) to install software for your distribution. The comand line is apt-get install the software to be installed .But a couple of questions first you can either use utorrent under wine for your bit torrent client or you you can use torrentflux or rtorrent - rtorrent is a native linux bit torrent client but it is command line only, so you need to give us more info to get you started.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Thanks Artemis, I am getting the commands slowly as I google and toy about with things. I better stop what im doing because I keep trying guides that I find on the net and so far I dont have a clue what im doing. On my index page its went from saying Ubuntu 7.10 to 6.3! Strange.

I was planning on using torrentflux.

I think I got onto the root and started MySQL server, PHPadmin & Python. Not sure though, im really useless at this, been banging my head on the desk all night, almost crying! lol.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    DoN BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Seany463 View Post
    Ok, im on with Putty, thanks. Now all I need to do is figure out how to upload things and install them, lol.

Thanks for the putty prog though, now I can at least connect.
    No Problem

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I'm totally lost. I need a basic understanding of these commands before im going to manage this. Shame I cant find a complete idiots guide.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    There are a lot of seedbox guides located at: Http://www.Torrent-Source.net

Hope this Helps!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by markupmaster View Post
    There are a lot of seedbox guides located at: Http://www.Torrent-Source.net

Hope this Helps!

Thanks, i'll read it when my head stops hurting...

Well, I read here http://torrent-source.net/?p=4 (Part 2) because it seemed like an easy enough guide to setting up utorrent on a server. Thats what you think! The person says,

First of all we need to add a new repo for this you need to edit the sources.list file
    #vi /etc/apt/sources.list

Add this to the end of the file, save and quit:

deb http://eclipxe.com.mx/debian/ ./
    deb-src http://eclipxe.com.mx/debian ./
    So I tried but where on the sources list are you supposed to add those 2 lines because it wont just let you create a new line by hitting enter, it wont let you go any further than the writing goes. The file itself saysx you can delete lines because they dont mean anything, but their path is specific, so which ones to delete?

Then, how do you save the sources.list itself? Because I dont have any command prompt to enter any command for a save. Oh the joys.
    Last edited by Seany463; 01-26-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast