Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping The Board Working Smoothly

Poster
    As you have noticed, the board has been taking off services to its members this month because of an overload problem. It's been an ongoing problem for many months and measures have been taken to solve it.

One of these measures have been to limit the size of avatar and signatures combined (Click here to see those rules) to reduce the use of bandwidth, to help the server and the users. However, although most of the board members have complied, there seems a trend for some people to disregard the rule. Some don't comply out of ignorance or because they don't bother to read the rules.

The second group rebels the rule by having a signature and avatar 10 kb above the rule, or 15 pixels above the set height limit. Some have picture of the right size, but add another small picture and/or one, two or more lines of text for "good delinquent measure". Such behavior is counterproductive now. >Only 10kb< or >only 15 pixels< multiplied by 4000 users adds up fast.

The last group knows about the rule, can&#39;t care less and won&#39;t comply; often posting pictures and animation many times over combined limits and continue to do so even after being asked to change it.

If things were going well with the board, I wouldn&#39;t bother mentioning it. However, as the board has such difficulties coping with the traffic, I don&#39;t think such huge sigs should be tolerated. Moderators should be able to simply notify the users without having half the board >attacking< those people (mods and users). They should able to enforce the rule without having the board members attacking them for trying to make it better for everybody.

As for the group of delinquent-by-a-hair-for-the-principle, it would be better to all if they complied to the set rule. Clipping 10 Kb or 15 pixels on a picture (Paint can be used, available on all Win systems), so that one thing is good for all. And if they believe the rule should allow a tiny bit more, they should petition to change the rule. However, it&#39;s difficult to request such a change when delinquent&#33;

Lets all try to do our part to keep this board running. Please fix your sigs and avatars and/or allow the moderator team to enforce the set rules without argument.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    i couldn&#39;t agree more

nice post

listen up neotheone...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    with all the ads on the main site, isn&#39;t it enough to pay for a better server?

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Originally posted by kAb@30 July 2003 - 05:54
    with all the ads on the main site, isn&#39;t it enough to pay for a better server?
    i wonder what the ratio of hits for the forum pages:main site is?

anyone know?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    I do not even use sigs or Avatars no more since being back.More concerned about what Album I am going to download next then what my image is.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@30 July 2003 - 06:58
    i wonder what the ratio of hits for the forum pages:main site is?

anyone know?
    Try clicking on the nedstat symbol on the bottom of this page.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I still say signatures shouldn&#39;t be images.

Seriously though, why even warn the people (often repeatedly) about their signature/avatar size? Why not just have the mods chop it off?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    bandwidth usage by sigs and avatars dont affect the server as they are not on the server, the person computer veiwing them does the query for the images not the server.

another thing we can do to help them forum, is not to have more than one window open from the forum, say there 200 people online, and 50 or more have 2 or more windows open, it adds up. and slows down the server as the make multiple requests.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    why not turn off the built in avatars then (that do eat into the servers bandwidth), although it seems a bit harsh to force everyone to find a host

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    This forum has built in avatars?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast