Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I could do with some help writing a quick paper about some questions I got..

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    The questions are as follows:
    What are the differences between a rocket, a missile, and a shell?

What are the pros and cons of a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle - a military one)?

What is Acetone, and what is it used for in military forces?

These are for some contest I'm entering, problem is I can't seem to find any information about it I'd be over the moon if anyone could give a hand here.. Thanks.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    google and wikipedia are your friends.
    See ya in another life, brother.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post

These are for some contest I'm entering, problem is I can't seem to find any information about it I'd be over the moon if anyone could give a hand here.. Thanks.
    The first is possibly that a shell is propelled by a discharge in the artillery piece and essentially just thrown at the target, a rocket is propelled by its own fuel but is unguided after it has been pointed and fired and a missile has its own propulsion and guidance system.

UAVs save on a very precious resource (a pilot) but are limited if a decision making process is required.

I think acetone is used in cordite (an explosive).

I could be talking pish of course.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    ^ Makes a bunch of sense though.. Any "proper" sites I can get them from (wikipedia ain't enough.. It needs to written somewhere with rep.. Like a university/college paper).

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter

A shell has very limited range. Both a missile and rocket are long range solutions, but a rocket is uncontrolled while the missile is controlled.

pro - small size, no pilot to worry about, possibility of 24/7 operation (only limited by the power source), low per unit price (compared to piloted alternative).

cons - lack of human intelligence in event of communications loss, malfunction, and the possibility of being hacked by the enemy.

It is a general solvent (I use it at work) and as such has many general uses. Acetone peroxide is a very powerful explosive.

I feel like I'm doing some else's homework.
    Their easy homework....
    Last edited by Broken; 02-04-2008 at 04:30 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    ^ Makes a bunch of sense though.. Any "proper" sites I can get them from (wikipedia ain't enough.. It needs to written somewhere with rep.. Like a university/college paper).
    How about following the references and/or external links given by wikipedia near the bottom of the page?

Too much of a challenge?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    How about following the references and/or external links given by wikipedia near the bottom of the page?

Too much of a challenge?
    That's not very helpful man, tralalala isn't the type of person to ask a question like this unless he already tried those methods.

I'm not going to reiterate what others have said, but Broken got it on the head though, his answers are spot on.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Yeah, just cite "Broken (interweb fantacist)" as your reference material, none of this wikipedia references nonsense

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post

Too much of a challenge?
    That's not very helpful man, tralalala isn't the type of person to ask a question like this unless he already tried those methods.
    Good one, I expect the link to Lockheed Martin's webpage (containing at least one reason as to why UAVs are useful), the article about "UAV's on the Rise" cited (I'm going to assume scientific journals and the like are reasonably reputable), the cbs news article linked to, and so forth, in the UAV-article (to name an example) on wikipedia contain nothing useful.

Oh, no, wait, they do.
    I'm not going to reiterate what others have said, but Broken got it on the head though, his answers are spot on.
    That, on the other hand, was not very useful. But I'm not really expecting any miracles, so that's on par with your usual course.

=-=-
    @others in thread:

Not that wikipedia should be necessary or owt, assuming tralala's school has no database access to any of the big ones, or at least some sort of news archive (as incredible as that may sound, most half decent schools in civilized countries do, nowadays, and that's usually where they expect you to go for papers and articles from journals), he still has access to the internets. Searching for something like: "acetone military applications", should give some interesting results, and perhaps show you what a couple of companies and/or a us government agency or two have to say about it.

In conclusion, I don't know what his previous research consisted of, but I'm not impressed.

EDit: For that matter, wikipedia's accuracy has been rated to be fairly good, by experts, so much so that it's been suggested that it may well be more accurate as well as much more current than certain more traditional encyclopedias, which, as it happens, are sometimes used as references in college and university papers. (Obviously, it's not perfect either, especially when there's a politically related motif to an article.)

And don't get me started on colleges, universities, and shoddy research.

What I'm saying is that nothing is concrete, but that totally ignoring sources like wikipedia, which has a great deal of people reviewing every article, isn't very smart. And that it's tremendously useful for finding further avenues to look for answers.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-12-2008 at 09:01 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    The number one mistake people will make when writing this paper is defining what something "is" rather than stating its function or purpose. State what these things do and how they relate to each other, society, and yourself. Make sure you develop a logical and coherent thesis and stray away from definitions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast