Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderators

Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey+31 July 2003 - 00:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 31 July 2003 - 00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@31 July 2003 - 00:14
    Is it as much fun as it used to be, before you became a mod.
    When we don&#39;t have to moderate people, it&#39;s fine. We just spend a little more time cleanig up and helping people out.

When we start havng to deal with people who are causing problems, Board Life becomes turgid. [/b][/quote]
    Turgid ?

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Ron@31 July 2003 - 01:14
    I agree with that, and hereby offer my apologies for thinking you were trying to star a flamewar.
    I meant , of course, "starT a flamewar, not star one.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Ex-member
    Yes. I hate having to clean up the mess when we get spammed, or agonising over just how to word a PM in order to get the correct message across to a troublesome member.
    It takes a lot of effort just making sure that what you&#39;re saying can&#39;t be taken the wrong way - something which I find particularly difficult due to my poor empathic skills

edit: star a flamewar? ---&#62; :flame:

4. Lounge   -   #34
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Originally posted by JPaul+30 July 2003 - 19:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 30 July 2003 - 19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by NikkiD@31 July 2003 - 00:09
    <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian
    @30 July 2003 - 19:06
    Do you feel you have to hold your tongue on contoversial topics now? I guess that would be a real disadvantage to being a mod, feeling unable to post as freely as you once did.

At times, yes. There have been debates where I&#39;ve had very strong opinions, but stayed out of, because I have too appear impartial and not take sides.
    That would make you a Judge.

Your job being to adjudicate on points of law (rules) and not points of fact (opinions). [/b][/quote]
    Well yes in a way I suppose, but more to make sure that the topic remains debate and doesn&#39;t turn into insult/flaming due to differing opinions. I just choose not to voice my own in those situations.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey+31 July 2003 - 00:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 31 July 2003 - 00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian@31 July 2003 - 00:06
    Do you feel you have to hold your tongue on contoversial topics now? I guess that would be a real disadvantage to being a mod, feeling unable to post as freely as you once did.
    If I had my way not only would &#39;nahan&#39; be banned, he would also be rotting in a cell somewhere simply for being such an utterly horrific person.

However, those are my feelings, not my evaluation as a mod. As a mod, I say he&#39;s a troll who we have to watch carefully.

As far as I am concerned, I leave negative emotions at the door when I come here, because they get in the way of doing my job. [/b][/quote]
    Forgive me for pointing this out young bean, but you appear to have expressed an opinion via the back door.

I hope this is not an exploitation of a lacuna at my expense.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Originally posted by Illuminati@30 July 2003 - 23:14

Actually, NikkiD with handcuffs sounds pretty kinky to me

God, I wish there was a whip smilie right now...
    [/quote]
    You mean like this one..........

Like I said, you all do a grand job and are not apreciated enough, bit like coppers really........only much more efficient .....and fun

Me apreciates the mods

Come on then hit me with the &#39;Creep&#39; stuff

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Ex-member
    I was just using it as an example. He knows I despise him heartily, so it&#39;s not a problem.

(I flamed the hell out of him in the days before I was a mod).

edit: Jonno, you&#39;re a creep

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by NikkiD+31 July 2003 - 00:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NikkiD @ 31 July 2003 - 00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@30 July 2003 - 19:12
    <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian

At times, yes. There have been debates where I&#39;ve had very strong opinions, but stayed out of, because I have too appear impartial and not take sides.

Your job being to adjudicate on points of law (rules) and not points of fact (opinions).
    Well yes in a way I suppose, but more to make sure that the topic remains debate and doesn&#39;t turn into insult/flaming due to differing opinions. I just choose not to voice my own in those situations. [/b][/quote]
    That would appear to be the only reasonable way as far as I can see.

To blatantly take sides would make the very name "moderator" a joke.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by JPaul+31 July 2003 - 00:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 31 July 2003 - 00:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian

Your job being to adjudicate on points of law (rules) and not points of fact (opinions). [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s the way I saw it too, but I guess it&#39;s a case of not just doing the right thing, but being seen to do the right thing.

It is certainly a shame though, I have seen all the mods as regular members except jetje, CornerPocket and El Jefe (missed by all I think), and I know they must miss being able to post without restrictions. I hope they enjoy being on the board just as much, even if it may be in a different way.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Poster
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@31 July 2003 - 00:21
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati,30 July 2003 - 23:14
    Actually, NikkiD with handcuffs sounds pretty kinky to me
    God, I wish there was a whip smilie right now...

You mean like this one..........

Like I said, you all do a grand job and are not apreciated enough, bit like coppers really........only much more efficient .....and fun

Me apreciates the mods

Come on then hit me with the &#39;Creep&#39; stuff

Jonno B)
    [/quote]
    To express an honest opinion does not make you a creep.

It makes you someone who says what they believe, rather than treat life as some sort of popularity contest.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast