Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Possible Computer Buy

JordoR's Avatar Madden Champ!
    So it's been about 5 years since I got my computer and it wasn't even that great to begin with.

AMD Athlon 3000+
    512mb Ram
    ATI Radeon 9250
    80GB HD

Just some basic specs. So I've been looking on and off for the past couple months now for a new computer to buy. Yes I would like to build one myself but I'm at a point in my career where I really don't have the time to do the searching, building, and troubleshooting when something goes wrong.

I found this computer a few days ago at a local computer shop.

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
    -Asus P5KC P35_12xUSB2.0
    -4GB PC6400_DDR2-800 w/ Heatsink
    -Seagate 500GB 32MB-SATA II HD
    -All in 1 Internal Card Reader (not that I care)
    -Nvidia 8800GT 512MB-(Super Clock) DDR3 16xPCI-E w/ 2XDVI Video Card
    -Seagate 500GB 32M SATA II 7200rpm
    -LG Lightscribe Dual Layer18X DVD+
    -CoolerMaster Extreme 650W PSU

here is the link if you wanted more specs: http://www.alinx.ca/itemdetail.asp?ItemID=6383

All for $1189 Canadian
    plus a 3% cash discount and less since I don't need peripherals.

So I just wanted some general advice on what people thought of this build. Once again I don't have time to build my own comp, but if there's something I should swap out that would be worth it in the long run, I would appreciate to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.
    Peter: Excuse me, is your refrigerator running?
    Because if it is, it probably runs like you - very homosexually.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    svr's Avatar Ultimata Warrior BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Asus P5K mobo's had a lot of problems so I would swap that to something like Abit IP35-E or better models depending what features do you want. Although I'm not entirely familiar with P5KC model.

I would also swap that PSU for corsair hx620. Very quiet and efficient. And reliable.

If you're not going to use 64 bit OS, some of 4GB ram will propably be wasted. On the other hand it is so cheap so what the hell.

Otherwise looks solid package.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by svr View Post
    Asus P5K mobo's had a lot of problems so I would swap that to something like Abit IP35-E or better models depending what features do you want. Although I'm not entirely familiar with P5KC model.

I would also swap that PSU for corsair hx620. Very quiet and efficient. And reliable.

If you're not going to use 64 bit OS, some of 4GB ram will propably be wasted. On the other hand it is so cheap so what the hell.

Otherwise looks solid package.
    Thanks for the comment. A lot of people have good reviews for this system so I think I will go ahead with it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Seems like a nice enough bunch of parts.
    What OS does it come with?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    panoli's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    try going 4 amd dual core gud 4 gaming and home use.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    meh go with Intel not AMD's if you don't really need the quad core, go with the Core 2 duo E8400 3.0 wolfdale I asked a week ago and after reading that most people OC it to 4 and over with ease, thats how Im going now.

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    People are getting those Wolfsdales up to 4.2GHz on stock voltage and air.
    I've seen 4.5GHz with water and more juice.
    These things are monsters.

Don't see any point to quads yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Edit: look here for some OC results...
    BTW Clocker Im gonna order it on Wed with the X38 Gigabyte board.

EDIT: Sorry I thought you were doing your own build didn't realize you were buying pre-built.

Why not build your own man? Save you some money and you could get what you want in there. It's not that hard really.
    Last edited by Detale; 02-03-2008 at 02:52 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I explained in my first post I don't really don't have the time to do the searching, building, and troubleshooting when something goes wrong (not saying it would, just in case). I work 12 hour days at my new job and it leaves me with very little free time. So I want a pre-built. As for the price difference, it's not more than 200 dollars so I could really care less in that aspect.

As for the OS, it doesn't come with one (not that I need it). But my other question is which OS should I be running on this in your opinions. I've seen both Vista and XP. Vista seems more like a resource hog more than anything, and as for visuals I could really care less. So in that sense I'm leaning to XP.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    For the money, it's a good deal.
    If I was in the market and couldn't do it myself, I'd buy it.

That is, if it was a company that I knew and trusted. I've dealt with some shady companies trying to save a few dollars, looking for deals on sites like pricewatch. More often than not, I've gotten burned with junk products - even different models (worth less money than what I paid). Customer support and refunds where always a joke.

I encourage you to consider all your options. Unless you're will and able to lose what money you're spending by bargain hunting I'd strongly recommend using well known sites like tigerdirect and newegg... even Dell.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    For the money, it's a good deal.
    If I was in the market and couldn't do it myself, I'd buy it.

That is, if it was a company that I knew and trusted. I've dealt with some shady companies trying to save a few dollars, looking for deals on sites like pricewatch. More often than not, I've gotten burned with junk products - even different models (worth less money than what I paid). Customer support and refunds where always a joke.

I encourage you to consider all your options. Unless you're will and able to lose what money you're spending by bargain hunting I'd strongly recommend using well known sites like tigerdirect and newegg... even Dell.
    I appreciate your input. The place I'm getting it from is a highly recommended store. Many people I know have purchased from there and never had a problem. They have a good warranty and they stand behind their products.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Good.
    Then it sounds like a good deal all around to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast