Thread: Making A New Partition Within Windows

Hello my boardie buds.

I have a lot of hard disk space that is slowly filling (thanks to K++, props, developers)...

I am not gonna go for the RAID config, so I wanted to make some partitions for my paging file and for temporary internet files, I am not sure if the latter is a good idea.

Is there an easy way to make a couple of partitions within Windows? I really don't like partition magic.

Thanks for the help.

B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I think I read somewhere that it's a bad idea(or can't be done) to have your paging file on a different partition.

I also don't see the point of having your temporary internet files on a separate partition. I would just reduce the size to be used for temporary internet files,pcpitstop tests advise a size of between 5MB and 80MB.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by callum@31 July 2003 - 01:33
    I think I read somewhere that it's a bad idea(or can't be done) to have your paging file on a different partition.

I also don't see the point of having your  temporary internet files on a separate partition. I would just reduce the size to be used for temporary internet files,pcpitstop tests advise a size of between 5MB and 80MB.
    Sorry Callum, you have actually got it the wrong way round.

Microsoft advise putting the paging file on a separate partition if possible, even better on it's own drive. Make sure you allow some space for expansion, but obviously not too much.

Similarly, temporary internet files on a separate partition is a good idea, as it saves fragmentation of the system drive.

The reasons for this is that
    1) filling the system drive is a very bad situation.
    2) putting on separate drive can dramatically improve performance.

Assuming you have Win2k/XP you can easily do this from within windows, simply go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management and you can modify partitions there.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have not seen another windows app that can do a partition resize on the fly.
    Backup and reinstall after formating.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Microsoft advise putting the paging file on a separate partition if possible, even better on it&#39;s own drive.
    [/b]

Where do they recommend this? Never seen it from microsoft.
    Some thought it was a good idea when computers and OS&#39;s were not as advanced as they are today. I see no need for it as long as the pagefile is set to a constant and large enough size.

Originally posted by lynx@
    Similarly, temporary internet files on a separate partition is a good idea, as it saves fragmentation of the system drive.
    Not caching them at all will prevent even more problems. the only time you need cached temp file is if you constantly visit the same page and little on that page changes. I&#39;d prefer to see the actual online content rather than have the system search and compare temp files each time I open a page.

<!--QuoteBegin-lynx

Assuming you have Win2k/XP you can easily do this from within windows, simply go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management and you can modify partitions there.
    [/quote]

No, you can&#39;t. The only options are delete, format, and create new on existing empty space.
    You cannot resize a partition from within the window diskmanager.

For that, you need an early version of partition magic. 6 or 7 was the best for NT/XP. anything newer is full of bugs. Volume Manager 2, made for sever systems, is a lot better build than the desktop versions. It takes longer to work, but it really does format as it creates, and has disk error check as well.

Keep it simple and it will run longer. Start listening to the theory you see on all these defragmentor sites claims and you&#39;ll have buggy shit too.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by balamm+31 July 2003 - 10:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm @ 31 July 2003 - 10:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Microsoft advise putting the paging file on a separate partition if possible, even better on it&#39;s own drive.
    [/b]

Where do they recommend this? Never seen it from microsoft.
    Some thought it was a good idea when computers and OS&#39;s were not as advanced as they are today. I see no need for it as long as the pagefile is set to a constant and large enough size. [/b]

MCSA/MCSE training kit for Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional.

<!--QuoteBegin-lynx
    @

Not caching them at all will prevent even more problems. the only time you need cached temp file is if you constantly visit the same page and little on that page changes. I&#39;d prefer to see the actual online content rather than have the system search and compare temp files each time I open a page.
    [/quote]
    I was answering the question, not giving my philosophy.

<!--QuoteBegin-lynx

No, you can&#39;t. The only options are delete, format, and create new on existing empty space.
    You cannot resize a partition from within the window diskmanager.
    [/quote]
    How about marking a partition active, changing drive letter, making a mount point etc. Or don&#39;t these count as modifications in your eyes? Please re-read the original post, you will find it says creating new partitions, nothing about resizing.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@31 July 2003 - 12:10
    you will find it says creating new partitions, nothing about resizing.
    You show me how to create a new partition from nothing then&#33; If you cannot resize the partition, then how can you create another one?

Got a date for this one? It&#39;s a bit outdated I suspect. Probably referring to pentium 2 and slow drives

Either that or it&#39;s meant for a raid array where it actually would make some difference.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by balamm+31 July 2003 - 13:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm &#064; 31 July 2003 - 13:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@31 July 2003 - 12:10
    you will find it says creating new partitions, nothing about resizing.
    You show me how to create a new partition from nothing then&#33; If you cannot resize the partition, then how can you create another one?

Got a date for this one? It&#39;s a bit outdated I suspect. Probably referring to pentium 2 and slow drives

Either that or it&#39;s meant for a raid array where it actually would make some difference. [/b][/quote]
    1) You are assuming all the existing space is partitioned.

2) Microsoft part no X08-89201 Copyright 2003 by Microsoft Corporation
    Edit: and no, it&#39;s not meant for raid (where it would not make any difference anyway).