Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: vipv2 goes p2l, lies, exploits, silences

If you can't run a site with your own money then don't run one at all. Pure and simple. Look at all these large Romanian trackers, do they have a donation button? No.

The world revolves around one so you can't blame them for wanting to buy a Lexus.
    Last edited by Femto; 02-07-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: put donation in twice, lol.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Femto View Post
    If you can't run a site with your own money then don't run one at all. Pure and simple. Look at all these large Romanian trackers, do they have a donation button? No.

The world revolves around one so you can't blame them for wanting to buy a Lexus.
    Well i cant speak Romanian but i have looked at enough foreign hosts in my time to know a webhost or not a webhost.

Ok i went snooping the other day when i seen that these romanian trackers do not accept donations (thinking cheap servers that allow torrents and not the USA, great)

well all 3 that i checked, are hosted on an ISP, not a webhost.

Its like Comcast/AOL/Verizon\Virgin media\telewest hosting a tracker on their servers.

So that is why they do not need donations, because they are a huge ISP to start with that offer broadband and TV packcages to home users.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    SCR's Avatar H2SO4 BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post

Well i cant speak Romanian but i have looked at enough foreign hosts in my time to know a webhost or not a webhost.

Ok i went snooping the other day when i seen that these romanian trackers do not accept donations (thinking cheap servers that allow torrents and not the USA, great)

Its like Comcast/AOL/Verizon\Virgin media\telewest hosting a tracker on their servers.

So that is why they do not need donations, because they are a huge ISP to start with that offer broadband and TV packcages to home users.
    That`s true. Some off them are hosted on ISP.
    And Femto ... i didn`t see a tracker that says you are forced to donate . It`s the user choice to donate or not .
    “Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.”

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by orfik View Post
    I'd bet my house that every torrent administration seeks to profit from user donations. It's just human nature.
    Is it a three bedroom home? If it is, I want your home. Send me the title and the deeds. Also your responsible for the closing cost's as well.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by SCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post

That`s true. Some off them are hosted on ISP.
    And Femto ... i didn`t see a tracker that says you are forced to donate . It`s the user choice to donate or not .
    Not really. The donation button takes advantage of the individuals with poor speeds. It entices them to give money just to stay at a positive ratio in order for them to be kept on the tracker. More than half this world still have poor speeds.

As far as webhost and isp's. Look at The Pirate Bay. They managed to handle things between 4 people without donations. When Midnight-Torrents first opened-up they already had a donation button installed to keep this site alive. That's ridiculous to say the least.

When you host a site, you should be able to pay the bill, instead of asking strangers to do it for you. Thats like an individual who is trying to create a law firm with someone else's money. Simply poor businessman tactics.

I can only think of 1 site that did the donation button correctly and thats Demonoid. They had a $5 donation button which enables an extra feature which sends you an email when new torrents are posted. I know that's free with a majority of the trackers but at least they didn't entice people by offering them 10GB uploads.

Just imagine if Demonoid, the 2nd largest tracker in the world offered 10GB uploads for a fee. Deimos would be a billionaire.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Just imagine if Demonoid, the 2nd largest tracker in the world offered 10GB uploads for a fee. Deimos would be a billionaire.
    Didn't look at it that way. So true. He probably would be. Demonoid is well known, they had over 100,000+ members.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    your talking about 2 public torrent sites here, they must get a million view a day at least, so they have ads.

we have 200,000 views, had small ads, and we make about $7 a day off ads, these public sites must make a fortune.

so they do not need donations to survive as they have ads all over the bleeding site.

Ok i dont agree with upload for money, and we do not have that on BCG.

If you do not like the donation button, then delte your account. but i dont know many people that would pay £600/$1200 a month on a hobby

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    I don't think it's bad to donate for upload credit as long as thats not the reason why your doing it (I know could be impossible to tell). Thats just my feeling on it though. If your outright advertising and pm'ming members saying if you donate we'll give you upload, then in fact that is very wrong.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    I don't think it's bad to donate for upload credit as long as thats not the reason why your doing it (I know could be impossible to tell). Thats just my feeling on it though. If your outright advertising and pm'ming members saying if you donate we'll give you upload, then in fact that is very wrong.
    Well just look at BCG, the benefits they got for donating before were minor to say the least, but since taken them off the donations have dwindled considerably, to the point where im contemplating sending out a mass PM/Announcement.

the problem is, i hate begging for anything, and i have only ever sent out 1 announcement like it in 5 years, and that was near the start.

so to me, a lot of users just donate because they get something in return, if they dont get anything they dont donate, and lets be honest, if BCG folded (any site realy) then they would find somewhere else, or maybe 2 more would pop up overnight.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30

When you host a site, you should be able to pay the bill, instead of asking strangers to do it for you. Thats like an individual who is trying to create a law firm with someone else's money. Simply poor businessman tactics.

Oh really? I was under the impression that a lot of business start with an idea, then go seeking investors to get money for startup. Either that or a loan. Taking a loan for a hobby like this, don't think so... Poor business tactics? I think anyone with a great idea should be able to start a business, broke or rich, and they do, every day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast