Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: vipv2 goes p2l, lies, exploits, silences

grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Well just look at BCG, the benefits they got for donating before were minor to say the least, but since taken them off the donations have dwindled considerably, to the point where im contemplating sending out a mass PM/Announcement.

the problem is, i hate begging for anything, and i have only ever sent out 1 announcement like it in 5 years, and that was near the start.

so to me, a lot of users just donate because they get something in return, if they dont get anything they dont donate, and lets be honest, if BCG folded (any site realy) then they would find somewhere else, or maybe 2 more would pop up overnight.
    I would put the perks back so people donate again, but just make them well aware that, just cause they donate and get GB or whatever was done before, doesn't mean they can take advantage of the tracker, hit and run or any other bullshit. I don't know, BCG is a huge site for what it offers. It would be quite hard to replace it (maybe one day, but we could be talking 1-2 years) I don't think your begging by asking. It seems like your in a position where you need help for the survival of the tracker. I see nothing wrong with that. I think you've proven that your not asking for donations for any other reason. Remember nobody gets paid for lending their time out to a hobby. I think you and your tracker staff should have a long hard discussion to see what your options are if you choose to keep the donation system the current way it is, and for the survival of the tracker. If nobody is donating then that equals a problem. Web hosting and server bills are quite expensive and me and you both know they don't pay themselves.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well to me its begging lol i never like asking for money, not even off my friends or family, and it just seems that way to me with sending out a mass PM.

and you know what it will be, we are struggling this month, i send out a mass pm, we get enough to cover it, next month same scenario, it will be a mass PM every month and i dont want to go down that slippery slope at all.

the staff are in discussions though on whats going to be our next move.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    well to me its begging lol i never like asking for money, not even off my friends or family, and it just seems that way to me with sending out a mass PM.
    I don't think it's like begging at all. Think of it as increasing the awareness of your membership. I'm willing to bet thousands of your members aren't even aware that there's a problem at all, a mass PM would sort that out.

Of course, no one likes being bombarded with flashing "U give me the monies, I give u the gigs!" type messages every other day, but an honest message informing your members that the site won't be around much longer without donations is completely different.
    I think your members would appreciate that more than a sudden message saying, "Sorry, we're closing, bye." I know I would.

"Pride comes before the fall."
    Imagine a torrent site as a human body.
    Staff provide the brain, members the soul, uploaders the muscle, all working together within the body itself.
    And yes, the body has to find a way to survive, and if the soul is strong enough to provide for itself, it will survive and prosper.
    On the other hand, if you have to start pimping your body then you're in a bad way, your soul is weak and you're liable to catch something...

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    it also sounds to me like we cant manage to run the tracker, which we cant (monetary wise) but the members dont really need to know that.

I know you are totally anti P2L, it was reading some of your posts, that gave me the push to try the no perks approach (i was contemplating it anyway, but those were the push)

But what we offered wasnt realy P2L, there was one flaw in it though that could have been considered P2L, but if we do bring it back that gap will be filled. so that will put a halt to that.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    ohmboys's Avatar fst <3 BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I totaly agree with you stoi
    Looking after FTN for free

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    I know you are totally anti P2L, I was reading some of your posts, that gave me the push to try the no perks approach (i was contemplating it anyway, but those were the push)
    Thanks for that. Nice to know that what I've said is at least considered by someone.

As a pessimist I find that comforting.
    Imagine a torrent site as a human body.
    Staff provide the brain, members the soul, uploaders the muscle, all working together within the body itself.
    And yes, the body has to find a way to survive, and if the soul is strong enough to provide for itself, it will survive and prosper.
    On the other hand, if you have to start pimping your body then you're in a bad way, your soul is weak and you're liable to catch something...

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    what is wrong with P2L if its not for profit? it makes it so that a fast internet connection isn't the only way to contribute to your favorite trackers. instead of paying your isp the extra $20, you could get an average connection and then donate the 20$ for 20 gigs upload credit. Most people would probably still prefer the faster internet connection, but at least it gives an alternative that would probably contribute more to the tracker than a fast internet connection anyways.

I don't see anything wrong with blackcats old method, and there's nothing wrong with vipv2's either. If any site, it's revTT that has a problem with P2L, as they seem to be using their donations for profit, not to maintain the site, with all the 'Double Up' pms they send

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    it also sounds to me like we cant manage to run the tracker, which we cant (monetary wise) but the members dont really need to know that.

I know you are totally anti P2L, it was reading some of your posts, that gave me the push to try the no perks approach (i was contemplating it anyway, but those were the push)

But what we offered wasnt realy P2L, there was one flaw in it though that could have been considered P2L, but if we do bring it back that gap will be filled. so that will put a halt to that.
    Well i guess. I hope it works out. I'll see what i can do. Finances are tight but i don't want to see a good tracker go under over money(even though thats the way of the world right now, one big huge money issue). It's hard to stretch a paycheck now days. I hope things change for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    If any site, it's revTT that has a problem with P2L, as they seem to be using their donations for profit, not to maintain the site, with all the 'Double Up' pms they send
    Yea i defended them recently, but now i'm starting to wonder. Since i been a member they have quite a few double upload for donations and i have gotten around 5-7 pm's only advertising it.
    Last edited by grimms; 02-08-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345