Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flac

Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    for a comparison: http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparison.html
    th0r, problem with iPod is they are ridiculously expensive, especially if your planning on using wav or their lossless format, since you need a lot more storage space.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman
    From what I read, FLAC is the closest you can get.

.wavpack
    has a little better compression but slower decoding than .flac, so i guess you can call that closer to an original cd; .wavpack also handles .cue sheets a little better than .flac does by allowing you to store the cd-text data inside the .cue sheet, whereas .flac stips that data with embedded .cue sheets
    Eh, don't you just add the .cue back in with all the .flacs? And I'm pretty positive flac is 100% lossless, and with flac it is theoretically possible to create a 1:1 cd clone using the correct drive offset and such.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    well harddrives are cheap nowadays. even with hundreds of albums as long as you keep what you actually want u'll hardly go above 100gb. alotta people keep flac for archiving purposes. if yu're into collecting movies, it'll hardly put a dent in your harddrive space

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Well until recently I was an MP3 fan but a group of torrenters turned me onto flac I tried it and found the sound quality was by far much better than mp3's almost like sitting at a real concert

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by leopalas View Post
    I download in mp3 to just listen when I'm out.

I download in FLAC format for collecting purposes. It is by far the best compression. You get the best quality possible.
    Same here. I also do a lot of re-encoding to high vbr mp3 as well.
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    The Wanderer's Avatar e pluribus unum
    flac is lossless and that's important for me. I simply got tired of low quality mp3's.
    Live long and prosper.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    BANNED BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Flac sucks.I like low level compression.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    monk3y's Avatar Pirate's Life for me BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    get more sounds more quality and enjoy it more =)

Do not pm me requesting for invites as i have none to spare
    Signature & Avatar Rules

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    I personally dl in flac because we never know what the future holds. MP3 and other such formats are not exactly the same quality as the orignal cd. From what I read, FLAC is the closest you can get. So, if and when a newer format comes out, and there are devices that support them, I can encode them and not worry about having quality loss before I even start the process, since encoding often includes some quality loss, I will not be doubling my loss.
    That plus FLAC sounds sooo much better then MP3 on a high end system.
    I agree with the points you've made. However, FLAC simply takes up too much space to be efficient in my opinion. Having a CD take almost 200 more MBs is simply too much and plus, the problem is that most MP3 players don't support FLAC so you'll have to manually transcode the files at least once.
    Yes, there is definitely a problem of diminishing returns with lossless, but for some it is worth the cost. I Have a high-end speaker, but I only download flac for my FAVORITE albums, or when the only other option is a bitrate that I find unacceptable (192 CBR, v2 etc.)

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Long John Silver

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Definite View Post
    Why do you download music in FLAC format?
    tbh i don't as anything I REALLY want as a CD I go buy (not much but hey RIAA you get some money from me - like once annually ) - everything else is fine as mp3 fort me. But as so many want flac I upload it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast