Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vote for reformation of the WIAW thread

sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Artemis...you've got it spot on mate. I've argued long and hard on this issue many times. Both in private and public I've urged for it to be reformed or scrapped. But I've come to realise that a. that's never going to happen and b. it is a vital part of this community.

As much as I disagree with the WTAW thread, there are many members of this community that think it's very important. From the staff's point of view I can see it serves a purpose as well. Before it existed trading was a lot more unbalanced. You had noobs coming here and getting taken advantage of, then they'd come back crying that they got ripped off. The amount of threads saying this person scammed me or whatever were out of control. So in a way the thread keeps the trading section a lot more honest. It also makes it more friendly and less of a jungle.

The real issue is trading, as long as trading is allowed then the WTAW is important. IMO FST should ban trading and be done with it, but that's not going to happen, and to be honest neither is a reformation of the WTAW thread.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    WTAW's Avatar WTAW Group BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I think the major problem is 3 lines in that thread.

# THIS LIST SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LITERALLY. It's just to figure where each site stands RARITY-WISE. Use Rankings Between Brackets For [Content,Speed,Pre-Times]

No one reads this.

These sites are easy to obtain. Chances are you will get in these sites without trading.

You do not have to trade for lvl 2.

These sites are harder to obtain for various reasons, though fairly easy provided that you offer similar.

but you do for lvl 3.

so if you have to trade for lvl 3, then you have to for 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 as well.

so to me thats saying, if you do not trade something, then your not getting in.
    you do have a great point stoi, i never thought about it this way.

it would inform people that it's possible to get into these trackers by being a good community member also, trading isn't the only way to go

i'm going to change to change thoses sentences and will ask for your comments after

thx for the input

UPDATE : done, added a new note in the thread and changed some text
    Last edited by WTAW; 02-05-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    No problem

and yeah thats a lot better, only problem now is to get those that have been here for awhile to re-read it lol.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I loved sears and artemis points on this subject as well. Thanks to stoi though for pointing that text out to put some change in effect. Little change is always better, then no change at all.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by WTAW View Post
    you do have a great point stoi, i never thought about it this way.

it would inform people that it's possible to get into these trackers by being a good community member also, trading isn't the only way to go

i'm going to change to change thoses sentences and will ask for your comments after

thx for the input

UPDATE : done, added a new note in the thread and changed some text
    Good job mate...my hat goes off to you.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    You can't have security and a thread dedicated to torrent sites showing it's qualitys. people are forgeting noobs who have nothing if no information was around how would anybody join these so called communities? i think the anger is mainly focused on the way it is rated as i said previously today i don't think people should look at it in terms of just numbers there is a little more than that if you don't like it ignor it this is filesharingtalk after all let people have their level 10 dream that they won't get.

Traders come into play also most people who just start of tradeing think there is no way to get into any other site which there is but to them it's polite to offer something in return when your new they think they won't get anything unless something is given in return same as exchanging goods in your local shop. hardcore traders i have no idea on their purpose.

this site is level 10 this site is level one they all get the attention if security is the priority factor then close the doors and be happy with the members you have i have always posed this question why is it sites with open doors much more content are still around and many are and those that are closed tighter than a **** ass are so paranoid?
    Last edited by sleepyy; 02-05-2008 at 09:02 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    but thats part of the problem, you close the doors and you shoot up to lvl 10, so every man and his dog wants to get in there, the whole idea of closing your doors is to get "under" the radar, but this thread makes you 30,000 feet up and a huge blip on the radar. just ready to be shot down.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Scrap it totally and somebody will have a new idea based on something else and the idea of trading will change . he likes music i like tv we swap where ever there is popularity in something there is always some silly way to trade the only way to stop attention is close completely or become totally private which means nobody gets anything no community no downloads.
    Last edited by sleepyy; 02-05-2008 at 09:18 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Why do sites need a rating?

I'm not sure.....

I don't see why people feel the need to label sites and give them a value.

Those who aren't members don't need to know what a site offers, once they're members is their business.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by LordS View Post

Those who aren't members don't need to know what a site offers, once they're members is their business.
    Well that's your opinion, but even some comm reps won't agree with that (just look at stoi signature )

Ratings and reviews (let's put rarity aside) are usefull tools to give FST members some knowledge on where to get the content they need, you might not like it but it responds to a need

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast