Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Vote for reformation of the WIAW thread

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    i have to agree, i think there is a place for reviews, and they shouldnt be scrapped entirely. but i do this there could be a better way of handling them.

see my thread here, regarding this.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...nd-wtaw-275192

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    X X - - (-o-) (-o-) BT Rep: +3
    we should keep the rarity scale imho, but with a new list, with the points you have mentioned, it would be more easy to navigate

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I only read the first few pages, and it may have already been said, but theres a different rating system in the BT section (not the invite section) based on content. Its up to users to decide which to follow, but as stated before many many times, the WTAW is not going anywhere. I even posted a "Down with WIAW" (before the name change) a long time ago. Feel free to browse it if you would like more input.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    For a long time I thought that the WIAW should be removed from FST as soon as possible and that it's causing a helluva lot of damage by increasing trading of the trackers and therefore decreasing their security. In fact, I believed it's the single most destructive thread in the history of all BT forums. Today, I still believe that that thread had caused a lot of damage to the BT community throughout its existence, but seeing that the thread already exists, the question now should be what's the best course of action? I suggest that at this stage we should look at it more from a damage control point of view.

For the sake of argument, let's say the WIAW was removed, what then? Do you honestly believe that the void would't be filled? I argue that it will be filled almost instantaneously, and most likely by multiple contenders for the trading crown, which is an outcome which will only make things worse. With the WIAW thread, you can at least reason with the owner of the thread as we've seen here, but with multiple threads all hell will most likely break loose.

If removing the thread could make things worse, I believe the goal should be to try and counter its influence. This can be done in multiple ways: 1) by educating new members, explaining that there are other options besides hunting for rarity and trading. 2) through changes in FST. I believe that some of these changes have already begun, for example: by the creation of a WTO thread focusing on tracker content and the separation of the reviews from the WIAW thread, the need of users to visit the WIAW thread should decrease, and therefore they're less likely to focus on the rarity of the trackers. Also, the separation of the threads, combined with the fact that new users can only view the WTO and reviews threads and are blocked from viewing the WIAW and the invites section when they first join FST gives them a better chance than ever before to choose the path they want to go in - whether it's going to be the non-trading or trading route.

Regarding the reviews section - I find that section to be very helpful. I understand the concerns regarding the possible security issues involved with exposing the insides of a tracker for everyone to see but a well written review can minimize or even nullify the threat (perhaps more supervision is needed here), and anyway let's face it, this is the internet and nothing is hidden; there's nothing you can find in a review that you can't find in 30 seconds by googling the site's name. If you feel that a certain review is divulging too much information you always have the option to discretely PM the poster and request nicely that he/she fixes the review, or even ask a mod for assistance if it's something critical. I've been on both sides (requesting and being requested to alter a review) and as long as everyone stays civil the situation can be easily resolved to the satisfaction of all sides.

As to hypothesis quoted by Artemis claiming that people tend to value their high leveled accounts above others: well, it may be factually true, but it bugs me nonetheless because it may (in some twisted way) encourage trackers to aspire to become rarer in order to reduce trading activity. It also - in an indirect way - offers some justification to users trading their low leveled, easily attainable trackers, which is just wrong. I'm sure that's not what was meant but one could understand it that way.
    Last edited by pro267; 02-06-2008 at 02:03 AM.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    WTAW's Avatar WTAW Group BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    to try and counter its influence. This can be done in multiple ways: 1) by educating new members, explaining that there are other options besides hunting for rarity and trading.

I added this note on the WTAW thread today :
    • Trading isn't necessarily the only way to go for becoming a member on some harder to get into sites (from level 3 to 10). In fact, some trackers are nearly impossible to get by trading and if you do succeed to trade, odds are still in favor of this account being disabled for multiple reasons. Being a trusted and active member can be more rewarding sometimes.
    As i said previously, i'm not a trader and completly in favor of educating people that trading isn't the only way to go. However, i do respect choice of people to trade or not.

It might sound stupid but i'm under the impression that some people trade on FST because of limited capacity to communicate in english. and it's understandable, it's way harder for someone who speak english as a third languages to interact with the community, write long philisophic posts and make friends. Trading keep the conversation simple and efficient for them

FST has members from all over the world, so it's an important aspect to consider. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all non-english members (i'm part of it) are traders, it's just my sociologic analysis . There is probably other reasons why people trade but i don't have much time to think about it right now

just a tought, i could be wrong though

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I don't think the language barrier should be an excuse to trade. I do understand the point your trying to make, but there are ways to communicate, and participate in discussions even if english is not your first language without the need to trade. Thats my opinion.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    My opinion is that its hard for any one to truly start respecting you, when you write in disjointed English. Not too mention, there are a lot whose English abilities are up to the standard of not being able to speak it, just understand. While people will say thats not true, blah blah, how often have you seen a post without any grammar, and just not bothered trying to understand it. Its very hard to express yourself, when you have a limited vocabulary.

Back on topic, WTAW is made for trading, so it should be all about how hard it is to obtain respected invites.
    Last edited by pandabear; 02-06-2008 at 06:01 AM.

Someone invite me to fsc please

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by WTAW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    to try and counter its influence. This can be done in multiple ways: 1) by educating new members, explaining that there are other options besides hunting for rarity and trading.
    I added this note on the WTAW thread today :
    • Trading isn't necessarily the only way to go for becoming a member on some harder to get into sites (from level 3 to 10). In fact, some trackers are nearly impossible to get by trading and if you do succeed to trade, odds are still in favor of this account being disabled for multiple reasons. Being a trusted and active member can be more rewarding sometimes.
    Thank you, this line is very true and a huge improvement! Let's hope that people will bother reading it.
    On a side note, perhaps that is just me, but within the limited context of the invites section of FST, I associate the word "trusted" with trading since traders often describe each using that word, therefore new people reading your last phrase and then checking a person's rep points may, by mistake, get the wrong impression
    . May I suggest a minor change to that phrase: "Being an active member and obeying site rules can be more rewarding sometimes"?
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    monk3y's Avatar Pirate's Life for me BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    i agree with pro267 educating the community.

adding guidelines to the WTAW thread is a brilliant way to control the situation, but still the whole idea of the "Level tree" is still a bit messed up and causes problems to the trackers and community.

I still believe the WTO thread is enough there are reviews and you can insert there a line which describes the status of invites in a certain tracker ( not it's rarity but how can you receive invites and are invites opened ).

that's my opinion.

Do not pm me requesting for invites as i have none to spare
    Signature & Avatar Rules

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345