Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1000 bucks to spend on new rig

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Sure there are only 50k of these here but I figured I'd give it 1 last hoorah
    By this time next week I'll have 1000 bucks US to spend on the new rig I have decided on the Processor already and perhaps the Mobo too. I was actually looking at maybe getting a new case to spice things up a bit. ATM I have the antec 900

I'm looking fo something stylish yet keeps it nice and cool in there too. I havent seem anything that might keep it cooler than my antec now with 4 120mm fans going and a huge 200mm top fan but I figured I'd see if anyone had any suggestions. Im kind of coming out of the "case must be lit up" phase now so What kind of cases do you guys own suggest?

At a quick glance Im looking at these

NZXT LEXA-NP Black/ Silver

Antec Performance One P180

These are just preliminary pics and I am open to any suggestions you guys may have. Thanks again guys

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What kind of cooling are you thinking of and does your hardware require anything special from it's enclosure?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Probably overkill but this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119122 case is ridiculous. 1 front, 1 rear, and 4 side 120mm fans. With front, rear, side and top vents. It's a great case, but it's a full, not a mid-tower.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    @ Clocker I'm gonna go for the X38 gigabyte board and prob gonna stay with my Blue Orb fan unless the Copper heatsinks on the board prevent me from using it. What other special needs do you mean?

Also I forgot to mention I am partial to cases that have the PSU on the bottom. I don't know why I just feel like it makes more sense.

@ Zelucifer Well I think thats a bit too pricey for a case but thanks it does look like a good one

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i like my x38 mb so good choice. even though many argue and get teh p35 over the x38. meh, each is own. if ur not gonna oc then today's cpu's are fine for cooling... seeing how ur going intel. no real need for a fan on top of the case. front intakes are good to keep the hdd's cool, but 1 is only neccessary imo. rear exhausts are essential imo. whether the psu is mounted @ the top or bottom is user pref imo. side window fans in chassis are worthless now seeing how i have a dual slot vcard and some side window fans are to bulky and leave no room for todays's big cards. for videocards i prefer the dual slot cards over the single slot. when i play fps' i play @ 1900 rez. when i play rpg's i play @ much lower rez. so, as much as xfire or sli goes it's great, but only worth it if ur going 30' or higher on ur screen or just a benchmark junkie. back on chassis, well, i HATE mid size or smaller chassis. i want my pc to be able to have as much room as possible & by having the bigger chassis it gives ur hardware much more breathing room and air flow. that antec 900 seems nice, but just to crowded for me. lol, i still like lights!

lol, after writing all that... what is ur question? grabbing urself a wolfdale?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    @ Clocker I'm gonna go for the X38 gigabyte board and prob gonna stay with my Blue Orb fan unless the Copper heatsinks on the board prevent me from using it. What other special needs do you mean?
    "Special needs" would include a gripload of hard drives or watercooling, to name a few.

Since you already have a relatively new case it would seem that aesthetics would be the only reason to swap it out and that's just too personal to call.

You can always disable the LEDs in your case fans to achieve the "blingless" look.

@Mr. Nails...excessive use of "IMO".
    Five yard penalty, still second down.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Yeah I decided to go with
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6

After a post I had a week or so back and some VERY persuading links by Clocker.

Honestly it is mostly astetic but I figured I'd try for some function as well. I will have 5 internal Hdd's also ATM I have 3 SATA II and 1 IDE Also I have a Sata in the box that Iv been too lazy to put in the machine also I am going to get another or possibly get 2 more Disk drives so I can burn movies 4 at a time, Still undecided about the extras though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    @Mr. Nails...excessive use of "IMO".
    Five yard penalty, still second down.
    lol, yeah, i caught that too, but left it be.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    SkyW's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    get the P182 not the p180, cable management much improved etc and looks better imo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    @Detale, are you running any intake filters on your 900? Mine suck in so much dust!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast