Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is avast! suffiecient to prevent hacks through utorrent?

fz_shurtugal's Avatar .......
    I checked to see if my P2P shield on avast! for utorrent was enabled (after I had downloaded a few files) and surprisingly it was not! I'm guessing some utorrent feature automatically took it down or something when the downloading had begun. I searched online about it and it does mention taking down the avast! P2P on the utorrent's FAQ page. However,now, I'm worried whether or not taking down that P2P led way for hackers to access my computer.

Also, this was my first time using utorrent (I switched from Azureus) and first time downloading any torrent through avast! (I was previously using Norton which worked very well and constantly informed me with the message "an attempt to hack your computer was blocked" -a very reassuring I message).

So if anyone knows whether or not avast! is suffiecient to prevent hacks through utorrent with the P2P shield off, please let me know. I'm really frieked out at the moment. Thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    cracked version? meaning?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Avast is free for using it at home. I use it for more than two years and its perfect
    You can download it from the homepage.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BluRossonero's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I used avast some time ago but it wasn't what I needed! I got my computer filled with viruses and avast didn't see anything. Now I am using BitDefender IS 2008. I recommend it as it is very very efficient! You could also try Avira or Kaspersky. They are all great!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    yeap , bitdefender 2008 pwnz

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Yeah, thats all fine.....but could I possibly have been hacked with the P2P shield off?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ginnagagab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    interesting enough the only reference I could find about this from the utorrent people is a note in the utorrent faq and a manual on how to disable the avast P2P Shield
    apparently the AV doesn't agree with utorrent and causes your computer to freeze or consume insane amounts of cpu resources...
    from the utorrent faq:
    My µTorrent/PC freezes or locks up every 30 seconds and/or uses 100% CPU, slowing down my PC (Avast!, possibly others) This can be caused by Avast!'s P2P shield, which scans P2P apps. Disabling this option will fix your problem
    newer versions of utorrent don't require you to go through the steps yourself, they do it for you without even asking, let alone notifying you

but tbh, avast is just an AV and even if the shield would run it would provide little to no security in regards to an hacking attempt
    have your "on access" scanner running in the background, scan your download folder before you execute anything and after

install PG or PW with one or more blocklists from bluetack to filter out the (known?) bad guys
    doing so will give you some peace of mind but in terms of absolute security....I'm afraid there is no such thing
    Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Living Dead BT Rep: +2
    The best way imo is: Outpost v4.* (it's very good and respected) with Blockpost plugin (instead of peerguardian or protowall).

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    The best way imo is: Outpost v4.* (it's very good and respected) with Blockpost plugin (instead of peerguardian or protowall).
    yes, outpost or kaspersky internet security

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast