Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: True Or False

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ilw@1 August 2003 - 13:13
    Light bulbs blow when they're switched on because the little coils inside them act as an inductor and sudden switching on causes the voltage across this inductor to spike which can destroy the very fine wire. (Hence my comment near the start about power supplies taking the brunt of switching on and off, but power supplies are built with smoothing circuits nad protections against that kinda thing)
    The fact that power supplies have to have protection from inrush currents (that's the proper name for what happens at start up) should tell you in itself that turning the pc on is not good for the pc. You only need one of these to be slightly off tolerance and some of that inrush could get through to more sensitive devices.

And of course the inrush current effect is also true for the devices themselves (particularly electromechanical ones such as fans, disk drives etc). As has been said before, there is also the thermal shock effect (which, combined with inrush current, is actually what causes most lightbulbs to blow).

The inrush currents when light bulbs fail can often trip the circuit breakers, that's a lot of power even though it is only for a few milliseconds. Imagine what sort of damage that can do to your power supply. And if your power supply fails at that point (and I've seen it happen) that energy can be transfered to the rest of your system.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    imported_The__One
    In my experience, the longer you leave stuff on, the better....I leave my computer on 24/7 (xept for re-boots), however I also have to leave my monitor on 24/7 because I bought it from a guy who, for unknown reasons, turned the monitor on and off 'bout 5 times a day...for 2 years, now the monitor will sometimes flicker like crazy and then turn itself off (not completely, just the yellow light instead of the green one). But it only does this after i turn it off and back on again, so I have to keep it running straight for it to function properly....an it's a 19" sony flatscreen (not LCD) so I really don't want to have to buy another one

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by The__One@1 August 2003 - 15:14
    In my experience, the longer you leave stuff on, the better....I leave my computer on 24/7 (xept for re-boots), however I also have to leave my monitor on 24/7 because I bought it from a guy who, for unknown reasons, turned the monitor on and off 'bout 5 times a day...for 2 years, now the monitor will sometimes flicker like crazy and then turn itself off (not completely, just the yellow light instead of the green one). But it only does this after i turn it off and back on again, so I have to keep it running straight for it to function properly....an it's a 19" sony flatscreen (not LCD) so I really don't want to have to buy another one
    i'm having the same problem as you

the cause of my problem is a faulty cable though...you might want to check yours out
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    imported_The__One
    i&#39;m having the same problem as you

the cause of my problem is a faulty cable though...you might want to check yours out
    Pawer cable eh?......I&#39;ll check this out. It&#39;ll be a lot better to have to buy a new 5 dollar power cable insted of a &#036;300 monitor

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    5000 hours??...

Man... My last pc lasted more than 4 years running ever day... there were weeks It was 24/7....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    hmmm interesting post...for last 16years i have been an electronics technician stroke prototype wireman stroke........myself alot&#33; te he back to the post, i have worked for IBM making and fault finding hard drives, intel making chips and processors and various other companies making and fault finding high tech equipment and can say with some degree of knowledge that keeping your pc on is a wise move, the time that your hard drive will most likely fail is at start up and shut down (not that you will notice at shutdown) this is not due to "power spikes" etc but the heating up and cooling of internal parts causing stress and ultimately failure, much better to keep things constant but not to hot&#33;, also when you power up a hard drive it has to find its "datum point" this is done by the read/write heads skating from one side of drive to the other and back at very high speed all whilst the discs are spinning up from nothing to 10000rpm in some cases in a couple of seconds, stress and double stress&#33;&#33; all electronic chips and processors like to run warm to hot ( amd&#39;s to darn hot) and cooling and re heating them etc will shorten there lifespan (which is what intel and amd want you to do so you will buy another&#33, keep ya pc clean and dust free with plenty of air circulation, clean ya fans etc with a can of "air", if you overclock fit bigger cooling fans or kill ya pc, common sense really. the light bulb reference was a damn good example by the way....there you go, not to technical i hope&#33;&#33;? have a cool day yawll

ps... a message to AMD.. stop overclocking your ancient athlons to silly heights and actually design a new chip to beat the P4.. nuff said

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    ps... a message to AMD.. stop overclocking your ancient athlons to silly heights and actually design a new chip to beat the P4.. nuff said
    Yeah, I second that. AMD can&#39;t match the speed of a 3.06GHz Xeon without having to overclock a Athlon XP 2400+, whatever the f*** that is , why couldn&#39;t they identify their clock speeds with GigaHertz like everyone else does, their "attempt to outsmart Intel" turned out to be an act of stupidity ...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    krome's Avatar triplesix clubhouse
    false, look at ur Electric company bill ~~

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    i build and repair pc&#39;s in my spare time and i gotta say people that rarely do i get an intel based pc thats a processor fault, usually mobo or configuration issues or that wonderful piece of software called windows, AMD based units on the other hand i&#39;d say 3 out 10 its the chip burnt out, XP2.0 being the main culprit but time will tell on 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 etc etc, i see me retiring early.....hmmmmm i change my mind....BUY AMD&#39;S BUY BUY BUY

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Out of The Ordinary
    I never shut down My PC, only re-boot after installing new software et cetera....and ofcourse when windows crash.

BOT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123