Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I Download Music Will They Fine Me

I have a question if i download music can the fbi or whoever the heck does it can fine me, or is it just file sharing. My mom is annoying the H*** out of me because she wants me to delete kazaa lite.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    If you are using the latest version of Kazaa Lite 2.4.1 by default others can not see a list of files you are sharing so the RIAA and whoever is trying to get a list of your files cant. I am still downloading and so are the millions that are online right now. You are fine, download and enjoy.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Is it just music or files in general? I have downloaded some movies recently so am I a target or not?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    well if you want to get technical, it is all files that you download and do not pay for. Music, Movies, Software, etc. It is all really copy righted. But like I said, if that cant see your files, then they do not know you are shareing. So you are really not a target.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Well won't this affect when people are downloading movies from you? Usually when anyone downloads from me, I search through their files to see if they are sharing. If they aren't I cancel their download.

Does this affect everyone or just the RIAA?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I thought Kazaa Lite has an Ip blocker that is supposed to block the RIAA and other hacking tools. I was searching for spyware and i found lots of them. The spyware only comes everytime i download a video file.

Does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?.

IMPORTANT:
    download Spybot from www.download.com.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    If you think just hiding your shared files folder will save you, you're quite wrong and should expect a summons soon. It's about what and how you share. The hulk will make you a target as will most new music. Lay off uploading those types of files for a while and let users in other countries seed them.
    Get out your recent games and apps and start sharing those for a while instead.

It's IP numbers and filenames they are looking at when they do a search. They aren't going to be poking through each computer on the net looking for a shared folder to spy on. You have to draw their attention somehow or upload a song or movie to them to get busted.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    ^^ absolutely right. your isp is probably cooperating with the riaa now too anyways. hide all your shit, your isp can still see your traffic.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Download your mom a mix CDfor her birthday.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by balamm@31 July 2003 - 14:43
    If you think just hiding your shared files folder will save you, you're quite wrong and should expect a summons soon. It's about what and how you share. The hulk will make you a target as will most new music. Lay off uploading those types of files for a while and let users in other countries seed them.
    Get out your recent games and apps and start sharing those for a while instead.

It's IP numbers and filenames they are looking at when they do a search. They aren't going to be poking through each computer on the net looking for a shared folder to spy on. You have to draw their attention somehow or upload a song or movie to them to get busted.
    But they're not going to sue over just one file when there's other people they can nab for dozens - hundreds - thousands. Unless it's like the guy who leaked the early version of Hulk, but that's far from the average Kazaa sharer, and I'd bet there were additional charges in that case as well.

So basically it's not until 75%+ (random number) of people are using the privacy patch that you're at real risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast