Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How The Hell Is An E-book Made

I just want 2 know how is an e-book is made ..

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Um, you get the actual book, write it out on Microsoft Word or Acrobat, and save it as .doc or .pdf.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    with a computer I guess my clever friend.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    your tellling me sum 1 will copy a full book.. fuck that would take years

5. Lounge   -   #5
    what about using an ocr (optical character recognition) program for input, rather than a human?

i've heard they've improved a lot since they were introduced (ocr programs that is, not humans)
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@16 July 2003 - 23:49
    what about using an ocr (optical character recognition) program for input, rather than a human?

i&#39;ve heard they&#39;ve improved a lot since they were introduced (ocr programs that is, not humans)
    hhmm interesting

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Throwing my 2 cents in.

If its a big book then you can use the OCR like 3rd gen noob said to scan the book and convert them to text file eg: *.doc. You can convert them to *.pdf via Acrobat writer.

However there are e-book compilers that can create a standalone *.exe e-book which I think is great. Once you have the text ready on the computer you can just create one. No one needs an acrobat reader or anything to open those. I would say if you are creating one to distribute then make a stand-alone.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Microsoft has a free add-on (WordRMR) for MS-Word to create MS-Reader (.LIT) ebooks. You can also download ReaderWorks Standard by OverDrive for free, which can also convert MS-Word and HTML files into .lit format. Both WordRMR and ReaderWorks support images with text. ReaderWorks Pro cost &#036;119 big ones. Adobe Acrobat Professional can create the all familiar PDF files. http://www.pdf995.com/ has a couple of utilities that can convert any PDF file into a text or MS-Word documents. Once you have it in text, html, or word format you can convert it to your heart&#39;s desire. If you have a scanner, you can easily make PDFs or use an OCR proggy to convert any book into text.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by MetroStars@16 July 2003 - 23:36
    your tellling me sum 1 will copy a full book.. fuck that would take years
    For an english Hooligan like you ?

Yes for sure......

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    You ever heard of a scanner....? there&#39;s a scanner now that can read text of paper and make word processer text of it
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast