Thread: Urgent: All Nero 6 Users Please Read

URGENT: Nero 6 users please read
    A German online magazine PCwelt.de reports that Nero 6 contains a 'bug' that could delete your entire harddrive. The bug is introduced with the Nero 6 Recode project. Bug might even not be the correct word for it, it seems more that Ahead forgot to limit the feature to empty the destination folder for temporarily files.

If this destination directory is set to the root of a disc (e.g C : ) and if the question: "Destination folder is not empty, do you wish to clear it" is answered with yes, all files will be deleted.

Here is the description (badly)translated from the german site using babelfish:
    Who clicks now over-hurried on "Yes" and had selected as goal file a root listing, short time experiences later its blue miracle: not only a "Video_ts" file put on in the goal file in former times is deleted, but also all other files and file on the partition concerned are deseamed within seconds by the plate. The user is nevertheless asked still whether he wants to delete the files.

A "Design error" is not however nevertheless. Because actually the user should assume "Nero Recode" means the existing "Video_ts" file in under "the target folder" indicated drive assembly and/or listing.

For now we would advise visitors to be carefull with this feature and to make sure to answer no on this question. There is no doubt Ahead will release a fix for this nasty feature soon.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    From what I could see in the article, This only applies to DVD users or cloning disks so burning CD"s shouldn't be a problem.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Then I would assume that Ahead is aware of the problem and is fast on the way of prescribing a "fix". Either way, just check back to their site often for updates. I myself have already updated the software twice.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    For those of you who have jumped on to using Nero 6, beware. There is a bug in Nero 6 that could wipe out your hard drive.

Nero 6 contains a 'bug' that could delete your entire harddrive. The bug is introduced with the Nero 6 Recode project. Bug might even not be the correct word for it, it seems more that Ahead forgot to limit the feature to empty the destination folder for temporarily files.

If this destination directory is set to the root of a disc (e.g C : &#092 and if the question: "Destination folder is not empty, do you wish to clear it" is answered with yes, all files will be deleted.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7638
    http://www.nero.com/us/631943764043415.html

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You can use Nero's new BackItUp feature to make a back up of your entire hard disk before playing around with Nero 6 Ultra.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Correct me if I'm wrong, please. But as I understand it from Nero's web site. This problem is in Nero Recode only. But as I installed only NeroBR 6009 (20.7MB), this doesn't apply. Nero Recode is in the NeroVE 20022 (14.7MB) package. I'm assuming the all inclusive packages Nero Ultra 6 & 6009 (180MB & 330MB) have the afore mentioned NVE 20022, so have the "bug". So I believe the NBR 6009 (20.7MB) is safe. Am I correct? TY.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    does this bug apply to nero 6009?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Who in their right minds would pick C:\ as their Nero folder in the first place?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    gaz_k's Avatar Poster
    is c:\program files\ahead nero ok?