Thread: Critical Xp/2000/nt Patch.

Poster
    This taken from bink.nu.

Please install MS03-026 patch NOW!
    Reminder over a week ago MS released a critical patch for a security issue in RPC, All NT based Windows editions are affected Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

If a worm is developed to use this exploit CodeRED and Slammer will look like child play. Please apply the patch ASAP, don't wait till after the weekend, codes to develop a worm are already posted in hacker forums.

NOW -> Microsoft TechNet security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if i have auto update on, will it have already updated this?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    my auto update is a little hit and miss i tend to use the update site just to see whats there

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Ive read about this, and its going to hit hard. Much more than the slammer.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    This is old news.

Viscious, but old (dated 7/05/03)...

I downloaded this patch the day it appeared on the updating service. I just make it a personal habit to stay on top of these things. I prefer to set my system to notify me of the updates without actually installing them. From there I make the decision on how to proceed.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Izagaia@ 1 August 2003 - 03:00
    This is old news.

Viscious, but old (dated 7/05/03)...

I downloaded this patch the day it appeared on the updating service. I just make it a personal habit to stay on top of these things. I prefer to set my system to notify me of the updates without actually installing them. From there I make the decision on how to proceed.

Oh really . Well you must be some sort of genious because it wasn't discovered - by 'The Last Stage of Delirium' Research Group - until 16.7.03. The reason for the current state of alarm is the fact that code to develop a worm is being passed about hacker forums. Thanks for the constructive sarcasm though, i think it's important to keep this thread bumped for a while yet.

Oh, and it's vicious not 'viscious'.

In answer to apunkrockmonk, yes the patch should have been installed. If you want to check, look for Windows Hotfix - KB823980 in Add/Remove Programs.

EDIT. CNET News article on the subject.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by liquidacid@31 July 2003 - 21:25
    Oh really . Well you must be some sort of genious because it wasn't discovered - by 'The Last Stage of Delirium' Research Group - until 16.7.03. The reason for the current state of alarm is the fact that code to develop a worm is being passed about hacker forums. Thanks for the constructive sarcasm though, i think it's important to keep this thread bumped for a while yet.

Oh, and it's vicious not 'viscious'.
    Really.

Reading the MS bulletin will demonstrate the date the vulnerability was detected and the time period in which the patch was created/posted. You can verify this in add/remove programs "support information". The links are there. Now perhaps the hacks were created afterwards, however, if the updates were installed as prescribed in the first place then the concern over the hack should (pretending this were a perfect world) be little more than mute.

If users stayed ontop of their critical updates correctly then you should have downloaded this already at the beginning of the month. There was no sarcasm intended. Merely a stated observation. How and what my words are interpreted as is not my concern.

My system + Killians= spelling viscious any damn way I fancy, thank-you. -_-

EDIT: Microsoft has placed a beta version of a fix that targets this specific "slammer worm". Check the development section and betas for the download. If I can find the exact link again, I will post it.