Thread: Illegal downloaders 'to get web ban'

mack3241
    "Internet users who illegally download music and films could be banned from the web under leaked Government proposals. Users would be subject to a "three strikes and you're out" policy, receiving an emailed warning first, followed by a suspension, and then finally termination of their internet contract. Broadband firms who fail to enforce the rules could reportedly be prosecuted, and details of suspected customers made available to the courts."

"A draft of the green paper, states: "We will move to legislate to require internet service providers to take action on illegal filesharing." But a spokesman for the Internet Service Providers Association said it remained hopeful that a deal over a voluntary system could still emerge: "Every right-thinking body knows that self-regulation is much the better option in these areas." Major ISPs such as BT, Virgin and Tiscali have been in talks with the entertainment industry over introducing a voluntary scheme for policing pirate activity, but no agreement has been reached. Some six million people are estimated to download files illegally every year in the UK, costing music and film companies billions in lost revenue."

Source: http://itn.co.uk/news/2e6e0ff478a3a2...20eb950ca.html
    TorrentFreak: 5 Reasons Why Illegal Downloaders Will Not Face a UK Ban
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 02-13-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Fixed bad source link; other "fixes."

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    So the idea here is as soon as you get a warning email migrate out. You would be unlucky to get to 3rd strike stage in a year if you are on a 12 month contract. Another issue would be to see if ISP's can share info I think this maybe a sticky so not worried at all Maybe another reason to decide if to pay out for a seedbox and/or switch to usenet.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    exam's Avatar Member
    I think that most people in the UK will have seedboxes anyway, due to their broadband being like New Zealand (crappy upload, and damn expensive, capped data)
    Not a problem
    And there is always proxies, hacked wireless networks , and good a ol' gun

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    gan.nez's Avatar ~~tHa mAn~~ BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    yeah but anyhow that would be shit if they just throw you out; so buying a seedbox would be the best; but is it safe too? i mean a seedbox

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i would like to see them intercepting encrypted connections, ipfiltered, on private sites. These users are way down the chain of those that will be caught.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6