Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was this an attempted SCAM?

DarkLured's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    The following is a PM exchange yesterday between me and another would-be trader (with certain identifying info and links redacted). This occurred after we agreed to trade. I suggested a middleman but the other party refused saying it would take too long. Based on the PMs below, do you think he/she was trying to scam me? I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Them:

I gave you user + pass, please give user + pass of [traded account]....

regards!

Me:

I tried to change the email on the ScT account, and I got this message:

"Error You already have a email change in progress, please verify the original email before continuing"

What is going on? Did you change the email or already trade this account with someone else?

I have changed the password on the [traded account] - no trade until this is resolved.

Them:

no I didn't trade it. Problem is I can't login to my old account because I forgot pass. What you need to do is, change the pass, then I cannot login anymore. That is all. If you want to change the e-mail aswell, just join the IRC of ScT and say you forgot password and want e-mail change . Sorry for the inconvenience. I don't need the ScT account so its yours. Could you give the [traded account] details again?

Me:

That is very odd - I'm a little suspicious/doubtful.

First of all, you say that changing the password is enough, but that is not true. I know that as long as your email address is on the account, you can reset the password anytime you want. If I am unable to change the email address, nothing stops you I from hijacking the account later on.

Secondly, the message I received when I tried to change the email address ("you already have a email change in progress, please verify the original email before continuing") means that you previously changed the email address but never verified it. You need to check that email account and verify the change, or I will not be able to change the email address to my own.

So, if you want to make this trade, please PM me the confirmation link that was sent when you changed the email address. If you can't do that, it is not a clean trade. Sorry about that, but ScT is too valuable for me to leave any risk of getting scammed and losing my [traded account] as well.

P.S. Just so you know, I have no intention of scamming you - you can take back the ScT account anytime you want -- but I'd rather we make a clean trade!

Them:

First I want to say that I totally understand your concern. Although it is a bit unnecessary. I signed up the ScT account on the e-mail you see ([email address]). I forgot the password of the account and I didn't make a secundary e-mail or a security question (did make one but just filled in something random). If you want to change your e-mailaddress in ScT, there will be first a confirmation e-mail send to the OLD e-mailaddress, thus [email address]. Seeing I can't access the account, I cannot confirm the e-mail change. I indeed requested an e-mail change, for you, so you could get it with mail. Unlucky it turned out not to work. The e-mail change I requested will end in 3 days, just as an invite is returned to the inviter after 3 days without confirmation by the invitee. What I advice you to do: Wait 3 days, then go to ScT irc, talk to an admin about the problem and request an e-mail change. If you explain them what I explained to you they will not be too difficult on that. On the other hand this is even unnecessary, seeing I cannot access my e-mailaddress anyhow, I am not able to reset the password. There is thus nothing to be afraid of. I suggest you just give the [traded account] details, and if after 3 days, you are not able to change the e-mailaddress, then I will give you [traded account] back, and you give me ScT back. The chance that you can't change the e-mail when asking ScT staff is about 2 - 5%. Just be fair and everything will turn out oke.

In short: Tell me what you want, if you want to continue trade, then give me [traded account] details. We will then contact each other after 3 days to see how ScT goes, consequences are said above.

Hopefully you understand me, I do not scam or so, I am just an honest guy.

Regards,

[FST username]

Me:

Sorry to be so concerned, but I am glad you understand. A few points:

You say "If you want to change your e-mail address in ScT, there will be first a confirmation e-mail send to the OLD e-mail address." This is NOT TRUE - a confirmation only goes to the NEW address ("In order to change your email address, you will receive another confirmation email to your new address"). So, it does not matter whether you have access to the original email ([email address]), you just need access to the email address you tried to switch to.

So, I assume you have access to the new email account, yes? If so, please access it, find the confirmation message from ScT and PM me the confirmation link. If you can't or won't do that, please let me know why.

I know you say you can't reset the password because you can't access the original email, but I have no way of knowing whether this is true. For all I know, you could reset the password on me and snatch the account back after I give you [traded account]. Given the irregularity on your side, I think I have a right to be suspicious (but remember, I am not accusing you - I simply don't know one way or the other). I therefore propose the following:

I will wait 3 days, after which I will attempt to change the email again. If I am able to change the email, I will then send you the [traded account] info (and no, you won't have any trouble changing the email address to your own). If I can't change the email, I will turn the ScT account back over to you.

I wish this hadn't gotten so complicated, but I hope you understand my concerns, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am an honest guy as well, and I'm not trying to scam you. If you have any concerns about this arrangement, we can speak to an admin on this site if you wish.

Let me know what you think. Talk to you soon.

Them:

It indeed says that a confirmation will be send to your new e-mailaddress. But first it is send to the OLD e-mailaddress. If you do not believe this, post a thread in bittorrent section asking that question. Therefore I cannot CHANGE the e-mail, for that you should go to mIRC of ScT and ask it there. Seeing I cannot CHANGE the e-mail, I cannot RECOVER the password, can thus not LOGIN.

He them calls off the trade. So, scam or honest mix-up, bullshit or the truth? And should I report all this?

UPDATE:
    It appears the password on this ScT account has been reset (as of 3:45PM). Funny thing is, I was trying to log into the account to change the password so I could give the account back to him. So, did he reset the password (which he claimed to be unable to do)? I can't be sure I guess, but I can't think of any other explanation.

UPDATE 2: He is now threatening to report ME, wow. I've learned my lesson - first and last attempt at account trading for me.
    Last edited by DarkLured; 02-13-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: updated

2. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #2
    anto's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    sound's like a scam

3. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #3
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Walk away as quickly as you can, in fact RUN.

Ask for an invite, they are easy to get (there are 1,000s available) and it will always be yours and in your name, forever, no need to worry about scams any more.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

4. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #4
    psychophil's Avatar Member BT Rep: +2
    Yes I agree with you.
    To change e-mail you need either user acct. password or some sites have a confirmation key.
    Either way a confirmation is sent to your new email address.
    I would say SCAM, but as I'm not a member of SCT I cannot say how they do things.
    Hope you resolve your problem soon.
    The Community is nothing without sharing !!!

5. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #5
    Medooooo's Avatar Gianluigi Buffon BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I think its scam but he is right about old email cause in SCT if you want to change email they send you a confirm link to the old email first then email chang.

But tack care and be sure he relly forget his email pass.
    Last edited by Medooooo; 02-13-2008 at 08:19 PM.

6. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    Looks like it

7. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    give him his account back, keep your account to urself, when the email thingy is fixed after 3 days, trade again? lol

8. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #8
    Hrvoje's Avatar mr. nice guy BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    i would say he is trying to get an acc from you, then revert sct to his own email. find another guy who is willing to trade with you
    Need FTN,FSC

9. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #9
    BamZow's Avatar Pure Swedish power BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Oldest trick in the book, but he didnīt pull it off very well. Let someone log in to you ScT acc and change the email and pass. But in ScT you will first get a confirmation email to your old acc, and many times you have by now already got the details of the account your were trading for, and then you just donīt confirm the email you recieve to your old email account.

It really look like he already scammed someone else, and thatīs why he already had a email change in progress.

10. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #10
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by BamZow View Post
    Oldest trick in the book, but he didnīt pull it off very well. Let someone log in to you ScT acc and change the email and pass. But in ScT you will first get a confirmation email to your old acc, and many times you have by now already got the details of the account your were trading for, and then you just donīt confirm the email you recieve to your old email account.

It really look like he already scammed someone else, and thatīs why he already had a email change in progress.
    It's nearly as good as the swedvdr scam, not quite - but nearly
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast