Thread: Direct Connection

I just want to know if you can use a serial cable to the parellel port on both computers to transfer files thankyou

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if u mean connect up 2 computers through the parallel port on each computer then yes i think u can do that
    http://compnetworking.about.com/gi/dynamic...cc%2Findex.html

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    I believe so, but I also think, from what I have heard, the transfer rates would be pure crap.

Any one else?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    gaz_k's Avatar Poster
    me mates house has got 4 pc's in various parts of the house all linked to each other.

using one as the main kazaa machnoie for downlaods n the others can copy which ever files over they want

not sure how he dun it but it bloody quick and i can always take mine round n just connect it to the power supply, stick the network cable in the back n the keyboard/mouse/monitor in and away we go.. not installin anything.

although his dad is md of a networkin company.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    yep parallel connections are pure crap. maybe i should've mentioned that they're really dated (which is why all the tutorials are for win 95)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    and what about USB 2.0?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Yeah, USB 2.0 (480Mbps) and IEEE 1394a(TYPE 1 = 100Mbps, TYPE 2 = 400Mbps) ought to be both fine. But I don't think you can direct cable connections for those two, but I've seen P2P USB 1.1 cables. If there is such thing as a peer-to-peer IEEE 1394b (800-3200Mbps) cable, I'd strongly recommend it, but I doubt that your PC has compatibility for that interface.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    belkin wireless kits are good value i run a small network at home on them and transfer rates excellent. xp will set it up for you to.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    i find wireless a little expensive.....at least compared to regular wired (CAT5 networking)