Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a philosophical question

BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    So here, at file SHARING talk, many seem to join the flock of anti- TRADERS.

To effectively share/get files one needs access to various trackers whether it be through trading or whatever method.
    So let me ask you fst, where do you draw the boundary between "sharing" and "trading"? Pure sharing would be 1 person making giveaways all the time. This is sometimes unfair because then you get "leecher" noobs that go in and beg in all the giveaways. Its a 1-sided kind of thing. In a trading situation something is offered for something about equal in return as seen by the traders. Spend some time and think of the definition of sharing. Don't have intellect? Let me help you out.

From Wikipedia,
    Sharing is the joint use of a resource or space. In its narrow sense, it refers to joint or alternating use of an inherently finite good.

For all I know, "sharing" in that sense sounds like sharing 1 acc with multiple people. Too bad that is also looked down upon in this community. S what isn't looked down upon?! I can't stand people saying "I hate trading" and post in every single damn giveaway and make (made) 10 ftn requests. Human Nature bleeds greed. For this reason, VIP privleages are implemented for uploaders at trackers and similarly I would expect if someone offered something "valuable," he/she should get something in return. Lets be real. People that make giveaways here don't wake up and think "boy I love helping ppl" and giveaway 10 sct invites. They want that damn btrep or rep of the users so when they think its their "time" they can request some level 9 tracker that they "heard" good things about.
    Where do you stand on this? I know I can't expect to get results like I would if I posted in the drawing room, but oh well. I'll give it a try here. I am truly interested in this and would like thoughtful responses please.
    Last edited by WarrenBuffet; 02-15-2008 at 10:07 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +2
    sharing is about LEVEL 11 lol

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    This issue is going on and on...Hope You see the light, though.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    One thing is for sure... the Sharing in FST's name doesn't refer to accounts/invites of BT sites at all, as you're trying to view it that way lol. If you read more carefully, you'll see the name is "file"sharingtalk.

Please visit other areas of the board. BT is hardly what FST is all about.

Last edited by kaffeine; 02-15-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    This is just like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    well I think the whole concept being it is that the people who are already members to all the tracker sites they need give away all their invites, because what else are they going to do with their invites?
    when the 'n00bs' get experienced with torrents and become members of the sites they want, they will become the people who start the giveaways.
    Then there are also people who give away their invites, but don't have all the trackers they want yet (like me), and hope to eventually build up a reputation of being generous so other people will fill their requests for invites.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    You're one hundred percent right about people who trade being just as in the wrong as those who do giveaways. They are for the exact same purpose, ultimately, and both types people go about it different ways. This is not to say that a trader is better than someone who does giveaways, but they are both looked down upon by the tracker.

When a tracker states that they want someone to share, they don't mean give them away to random strangers over the internet; this might was well be trading. They want you to share them with your friends; when your friend gets one invite, he'll give it to someone who he thinks will make use of the account. Friend A might be interested in music, while Friend B likes movies. The problem here is that people trade to work their way up the invisible ladder when what they really want is easily achievable. Someone would rather have an account at E**** than an account at What.cd or Pedro's, even though they (usually) coudn't tell the difference between a .mp3 and vinyl. It's a convoluted system that is easily misunderstood. The point is: both trading and giveaways are forms or trading invites, whether directly or indirectly.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by kaffeine View Post
    One thing is for sure... the Sharing in FST's name doesn't refer to accounts/invites of BT sites at all, as you're trying to view it that way lol. If you read more carefully, you'll see the name is "file"sharingtalk.

Please visit other areas of the board. BT is hardly what FST is all about.

File Sharing (18 Viewing)
    BitTorrent (255 Viewing)
    Kazaa [Lite] & Fast Track (3 Viewing)
    Newsgroups (76 Viewing)
    eDonkey & eMule (11 Viewing)

gg

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    That doesn't mean EVERYTHING has to be related to BT. FST was here way before BT came into the picture.
    This is just like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    nixonsparanoia's Avatar Poster
    What's there to say really? You have a firm grasp on the concept. Sharing is trading. Giveaways are trading. Trading is sharing. It just depends on whether or not you're giving away, sharing, or trading with someone you "know" and more importantly your motivations for doing any of those things. A lot of people just give away invites in hopes they'll be invited into "better" trackers once they've done enough giveaways. In my opinion those people are the worst. And the people who call members who post in all the giveaways "greedy" apparently fail to recognize what sharing files instead of paying for them is; other than poor or cheap. GREEDY! But yea, the whole rep system only encourages people to give away invites with the motivation that they'll get into better sites. But if you're getting invited are you really concerned with the persons motivation? Not until you're in right?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Making a public giveaway could sometimes be just as wrong as trading, although I think there is a fine line between the two (a fine one maybe, but there still is a line):
    For one thing, there are quite a few sites that do not prohibit giving away invites in public. On the other hand, there are almost no sites which allow trading of their invites, not to mention accounts trading. In addition, I believe that since inviters are held responsible for their invitees they are more likely to conduct an extensive background check on the invitees than someone that just trades an account and forgets about it 5 minutes later.

Now, as for the differences between trading/making blind giveaways and inviting your friends, here are a few:
    Every additional person invited to a tracker adds some potential for security compromise. When you invite a trusted friend that potential is minimal, but when you trade with an unknown person it is maximal. In addition, when you invite your friend to a tracker, you're most likely inviting someone who is likeminded (since he *is* your friend) vs. a situation where you invite a random person which might not fit into the community. In other words, trading can hurt the community since people who do not fit in might get into the community. In addition, traders often look at the tracker as a stepping stone for the next level, therefore are just "fly by" members not interested in investing in the tracker in the long run, so why would any site want them as members? Sure, they often rent seedboxes, generate a lot of traffic on the trackers and have huge buffers but that does NOT help the trackers, on the contrary: it just puts a lot of stress on the systems and prevents other members from having good stats.

And as to how you could misinterpret the term "FileSharing" by taking the word "Sharing" and twisting its meaning to "sharing 1 acc with multiple people" - I'm afraid that's quite beyond me. FileSharing refers to sharing of files, not tracker accounts.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast