Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help decideing on new pc or laptop

Poster
    Iam kinda leaning towards a laptop jus for the portableity (these 2 models http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1198286608353 or http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...&searchString=) or a mini tower so i can take it to friends houses to use as a gaming "cube". Dont wanna spend over 600$ , does any 1 have any links for good deals on mini's. Or reconmendation for a laptop. thanks alot
    Last edited by ZLOsiris; 02-16-2008 at 03:40 AM.
    sig removed by Sara...much too big, please read the rules and could you activate your pm's too

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I am going to build my first mini as a kind of media station to connect to my TV and set up a wireless network so I can play my movies from this computer on my TV inside without having to burn a disk. Seems pretty cheap so far I will check and give you the hardware list I have so far

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Yea thats why iam thinking of giving up the laptop jus for that reason, i mean a mini is like a gaming,multimedia staion, and portable...which hooks up to a TV. So i guess the mini is the way to go Jus hating to give up that portablety I already have a unused 160 hd and some older ram and a video card, the ram pc 3200? 5 years old so i think i owuld have to scratch those.. Any else here build a mini or have some good links for a deal or build?
    Last edited by ZLOsiris; 02-16-2008 at 03:34 AM.
    sig removed by Sara...much too big, please read the rules and could you activate your pm's too

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by ZLOsiris View Post
    Iam kinda leaning towards a laptop jus for the portableity (these 2 models http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1198286608353 or http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...&searchString=) or a mini tower so i can take it to friends houses to use as a gaming "cube". Dont wanna spend over 600$ , does any 1 have any links for good deals on mini's. Or reconmendation for a laptop. thanks alot
    With a budget of $600, a decent laptop is already out of reach, so your options are limited to begin with.

And, unless you already have a lot of spare parts already stockpiled (opticals/harddrives mainly), $600 won't buy much of a "gaming cube" either since you'll be spending over a third of the budget on a vid card alone.

I'd say you're going to have to rethink either the budget or the specs.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100

You could get Dell's Vostro 1400 or 1500 Laptop (Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM DVD-RW 128MB NVIDIA Graphics Card) for only $599.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    decided on this 1 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1198888992607 i want to upgrADe the ram to 4 gigs but i cant seem to find any 2 gig sticks they make them? will i have to settle for just 2 ? Has a s video so i can use it for gaming on my tv.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    The 32 bit version of Vista installed on that lappy cannot address 4GB of RAM.
    If you had 4GB installed the OS could only see @3.2GB, so installing 3GB total would be your best bet.
    Newegg sells the memory...here's a candidate to look at.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    wow thanks for that link looks like a gr8 deal, will i be able to use that stick with another 512 in the slot? Thanks for the heads up on the ram issue i did not know that, thanks again

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Your machine already comes with 1GB and, for no particular reason, I'm assuming that's a 1GB stick, not 2 x 512MB.
    So you should have 3GB when you add the new stick.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    ty for the help clocker i jus ordered that ram, thanks for the link and the gr8 deal. i posted this other question in the software lobby but no 1 answered maybe u can , I have just bought a laptop that comes with the preinstalled vista premium. Does the toshiba vista/recovery/drivers disk have the option for the 64 bit version of vista on it like the store bought vista does? Also i remember a year ago that people where talking about that there were software issues with using xp/vista in 64 does that still hold true" I want to upgrade to 4g of ram but like u said the 32 can only reconize 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast