Thread: Freeware Junkies

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I dont download as much freeware as I use to because half the time I dont use the programs anyway. I used to download a boatload of freeware. Id go to one of those freeware sites and have a field day. One thing I noticed when I downloaded a lot of freeware is that some freeware programs tend to have flaws that could cause problems with your pc. Not all freeware is like this. Some freeware is damn good. But if your not careful you may run across one of those sites that only have freeware so they can promote and advertise other things and sometimes the freeware could have spyware or plain and simple just may note be coded well. Nevertheless, I found myself spending more time uninstalling freeware more than I downloaded it.

Btw, for the most part I think a lot of people download freeware as a substitute for a commercial program that can do the same thing. The freeware eliminates having to pay for it.................dah But being a k-lite user should we really be limiting ourselves to second best. Why not get the commercial product if its free, hell, who says we have to pay for it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    imported_The__One
    Btw, for the most part I think a lot of people download freeware as a substitute for a commercial program that can do the same thing. The freeware eliminates having to pay for it.................dah But being a k-lite user should we really be limiting ourselves to second best. Why not get the commercial product if its free, hell, who says we have to pay for it?
    Exactly, the good thing 'bout p2p (and a certain lack of morals ) is that any and all software are available, all you have to do is want it B)

I just recently downloaded Adobe Premiere 6.5....then I discovered that I had no idea how to use it, so I download the Premiere Total Training pack (6 DVDs and 1 lesson CD) Thats $1000 worth of great software for absolutely nothing!!

Not to mention all the movies, mp3's and games that are available

p.s: a possible dowside to this is that less effort is put into developing good freeware...since it's all free anyway

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Just to note here:

I am a firm believer that possession is nine/tenths of the law. An ELUA that tells me that I only own a "license" to the software and not the software itself is just full of crap. And if someone on a P2P network is generous enough to share that software, then I say more power to them. Share and share alike. I shelled out over a grand for my system and everything installed on it. If Mr. Gates wishes to come knocking on my door to collect HIS opertaing system, then by all means please do so. He can say "hello" to my big doggie in the process.

Besides, many of the users who have versions of P2P softwares installed and regularly d/l and use softwares from those networks, are minors and should not be governed by the ELUA. Afterall it IS a legal contract. And minors are void of such binding legalities. I do not know what brought that up- I just wanted to say it somewhere...

Anyway, I agree- there is alot of good freeware out there available. Especially that which can only help to improve XP's performance and security. Too bad there is an equally available number of crap programs which contain bundled spy/adware components. "Free"- my ass. My boy wanted a lousy wallpaper of the group "Slipknot". Too bad it was packaged as an installer that contained that !@#$%? gator client. I spent the better part of an evening removing the all components just so that he could keep the wallpaper.

Kazaa = large selections at very good prices. Better than Wal-mart.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I agree with some of what has been said. Some freeware is superior to payware. Because some are smaller (less bloatware) & are executeable vs. installs & take less sys resources. The freeware I use on regular basis are: MBProbe, DTemp, RAM Def XT, TinyResMeter, AppSwat, Spybot S&D, MRU-Blaster, WebTime 2000, PeerGuardian, Registry Detective, DustBuster XP, ePrompter, ClearTweak, XP AntiSpy & of course KL.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    some freeware authors just make programs because they have spare time and the skills, other authors have an ability to make a half-arsed program and try to make some money from it

i usually don't get freeware unless its recommended to me
    our scottish mod Lamsey has a freeware forum, with recommended freeware
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants