Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water cooling?

AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    My dad wants me to water cool his pc because he hates the noise from fans, and I have never used water cooling before. What do I need to buy?

heres the config for the rest of the pc:
    Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK - OEM
    Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    Antec NeoPower 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
    G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
    To liquid cool I was looking at this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118111
    what else do I need to go with that/ how easy is it to setup?

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    your dad should be aware that u also need fans to cool the radiator, usually AT LEAST 2x 120mm fans.

i use watercooling and if u spend some bux and buy some decent and expensive noisblocker fans, it should help.
    anyway, everything is more quiet than stock cooling fans!

edit: that zalman system sucks big time and has a very poor performance (i assume you are going to OC the system). only custom built systems are worth, but if u don't have the knowledge, ask someone near you to mount you a system, it's soooo easy once u see how it's done.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Is this PC already assembled and running?

Edit:Here's 179 pages of watercooled rigs.
    Probably best to skip to the end to see the most current kit.
    Last edited by clocker; 02-17-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    your dad should be aware that u also need fans to cool the radiator, usually AT LEAST 2x 120mm fans.

i use watercooling and if u spend some bux and buy some decent and expensive noisblocker fans, it should help.
    anyway, everything is more quiet than stock cooling fans!

edit: that zalman system sucks big time and has a very poor performance (i assume you are going to OC the system). only custom built systems are worth, but if u don't have the knowledge, ask someone near you to mount you a system, it's soooo easy once u see how it's done.
    hes nt going to OC the system any (I know, its a sweet rig to oc but hes against modding for some reason and wont change his mind)
    all the water cooling needs to do is an adequate job, he doesnt play any games either. and that zalman system is fanless, so it should be zero noise.
    do you think its enough to keep the system from melting/crashing?
    also, does that zalman kit have everything I need or will I need to buy extra hoses and cooling blocks?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Why do I think you've already decided on the Reserator no matter what anyone says?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    because I pretty much have. I just want to be sure that that is all I need or are there extra parts. also i just want to make sure I wont need to use any fans at all?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Of course you'll need fans.
    The heatpiping and RAM sticks both depend on the outflow of air from the stock cooler, which you plan on removing.

Also, what do intend to do about the vid card?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    can I water cool it? do I need to buy another cooling block/hoses?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yeah, you would.

I'll just get this out of the way right now...
    That 1st gen Reserator is going to be marginal for just the quad cpu and will melt if you add the gpu as well.
    The v2 Reserator (here) includes a vga block (don't know if it'll fit your card...) and has an upgraded pump as well.

Still won't be my first (or second or third or...) choice though.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    sounds like water cooling is not that great for noise reduction then. I guess I will just run a dvi thru the wall and put it in the closet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast