Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pimp uTorrent on my Seedbox

Wormtail's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90
    OVH offers gr8 servers. Can someone tell me if speeds are good ?

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    parky's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Im using leaseweb at the moment but thinking of going to ovh.co.uk for the unlimited traffic, the prices seem good but I wonder whether the speed is the same as leaseweb.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    OK can someone now explain why should I disable "Peer Exchange" ?

Thanks.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    thechile's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    The most important thing you need to know is keeping Peer Exchange enabled will eventually get you banned from a private tracker as you will be reporting back inaccurate stat's.

Peer exchange checks with other peers to see if they know of any other peers. But this is done without the tracker announce, so other peers outside of the private tracker can connect to you. Not good.

It was designed to reduce load on the tracker by having peers gossip but private trackers don't want this, they only want verified members downloading from other verified members so the tracker keeps track of all members upload and download.

The trackers can force private flags on torrents also so even if the client has peer exchange enabled, the torrents from that tracker will not exchange with other peers. But to play safe if you mainly deal with private trackers you can disable it globally.
    Last edited by thechile; 02-20-2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: update info

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    If all those options are set correctly, and your utorrent port is open, then you can potentially reach 11mb/s. If you are not, it is not the server but the torrents you are trying to seed. If you are an uploader and upload torrents you will always max that speed, but otherwise the speed of any torrents you are seeding depend on how many other seeders there are and how many leechers there are - If it is a pack, then there is a good chance most of the leechers are already seeders.

So really for your best chance of reaching maximum upload speed, wait until a good new torrent comes out, jump on it quickly (rss is always a good option for TV shows/movies) and you will find your upload is a lot faster.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by thechile View Post
    The most important thing you need to know is keeping Peer Exchange enabled will eventually get you banned from a private tracker as you will be reporting back inaccurate stat's.

Peer exchange checks with other peers to see if they know of any other peers. But this is done without the tracker announce, so other peers outside of the private tracker can connect to you. Not good.

It was designed to reduce load on the tracker by having peers gossip but private trackers don't want this, they only want verified members downloading from other verified members so the tracker keeps track of all members upload and download.

The trackers can force private flags on torrents also so even if the client has peer exchange enabled, the torrents from that tracker will not exchange with other peers. But to play safe if you mainly deal with private trackers you can disable it globally.
    Thanks a lot for this m8. I disabled DHT's as well as peer exchange, but left Enable Local Peer Discovery and ask tracker for scrape info enabled. I'm really happy with the speeds on OVH now. After I disabled SLA and tweaked he uTorrent properly i get really solid speeds

Thanks for your help guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12