Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aol Is Aprt Of The Riaa

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Have you guys actually tried AOL?
    Yes I have. I've also used AOL's sister ISP, Compuserve.

Both of which add useless crap and slowed down my surfing experience. This includes an over abundance of ads and the inability to properly handle spam.

Software like that provided by the above companies is strictly for the masses. I mean people who aren't very computer savvy need their hand held just to surf the internet. And yes, I mean everyone.

I've spoken with enough of my customers to know that the average person doesn't understand how to get online[without AOL] or how email actually works.

Learn to use a proper email client(e.g. Outlook, Lotus, etc). Learn to set up your PC to access the internet without add'l software. Get in the game.

BTW, you don't need their software to chat. You can always install just
    their chat client if you're that desperate.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Originally posted by stonecold1203@2 August 2003 - 03:04
    Have you guys actually tried AOL?
    My parents use AOL, which means I get stuck with it whenever I go home. I have no idea why my parents haven't dumped it yet, even they don't like it.

AOL sucks the dog's danglies.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    yeh DasScoot i have the same problem

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Would you look at this the first time every one agrees AOHell SUCKS

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Aol has really changed.

I've used it for 4 years. No problem.

The new versions aren't that bad. They took out all the ad's and put some nice features in.

I don't use it now. The people that say "omg aol sux soio much, i am 2 kool to uswe aohell. omg"

Did you try the new versions? Or do you speak of version 3.0?

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    id just like to know why u all think aol sucks? is it because they were bought by warner bros a few years back.......this doesnt mean shit apart from more money being invested into the company!!! and yes im sure ur all aware that google has also been bought by them......so are u all gonna start sayin googles shit ....i aint using google no more

please leave any constructive criticsms and justifiable arguments..........dont just put aol sucks, that means mothing to anyone! if u dont like them please inform us why you dont, so people can read this and make informed decisions and possibly change their isp!!

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Originally posted by basics@2 August 2003 - 17:48
    id just like to know why u all think aol sucks? is it because they were bought by warner bros a few years back.......this doesnt mean shit apart from more money being invested into the company!!! and yes im sure ur all aware that google has also been bought by them......so are u all gonna start sayin googles shit ....i aint using google no more

please leave any constructive criticsms and justifiable arguments..........dont just put aol sucks, that means mothing to anyone! if u dont like them please inform us why you dont, so people can read this and make informed decisions and possibly change their isp!!
    I agree 100%

What bothers me is that 80% of them don't have personal experience. Heard from some 80 year old guy who used aol 4.0 that aol sucks. So they go out and say

"OMG u use aol u r suc a losa, omg aol sux"

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I refer you to my original post.

AOL software adds things that, to me anyways, aren't necessary.

I use WinXP and as it is already bloated, I don't want to add another email client, or another fancy, IE based, browser.

Other ISPs don't require you to add software. You just utilize existing programs that Windows provides for you.

I guess I like my machine to run as efficiently(read: fast) and lean as possible and this redundancy is just inane.

This and the fact that AOL is marketing to users on a level that astounds me. I believe in free thinking and AOL makes it all to easy to just shut off your mind and click their links.

Strictly for amateurs and lemmings.

Flame away kiddies...

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    "click the links" isnt that all the net is anyway?

oh sorry u type as well, but whats the point in having to type in all ur favourite links?

personally i use the internet for other things but sometimes(when bored) its useful to have a bunch of things that u wouldnt generally look for available as links to hand!

i take it what u actually mean harry is that aol is not for you. but what substance u have added to the discussion doesnt actually sustain that aol sucks!!

please feel free to add more comments to justify ur argument ....

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Issue #1: The Layout - I don't like how AOL is set up, with all the windows inside one big window. If I'm using more than one thing at once, it's impossible to switch easily between them. Same with the IM windows. The window that opens when you start it with the news and ads and stuff is impossible to remove. You're stuck with the top few inches of the screen being dedicated to buttons that you mostly never use. You could minimize AOL and use IE to surf, but if you do that why use AOL?

Issue #2: Email - It doesn't sort out the junk, and doesn't let you block people from sending you stuff that I've noticed - sucky.

Issue #3: Stability - As far as connection goes, it hasn't been too bad the last few times I've visited, but during my high school years we were getting disconnected CONSTANTLY - and we live 20 minutes from their HQ! Also, maybe it's just my parent's computer, but it's also a sucky program. Takes a while to boot up and to shut it down, and freezes often.

If you have to use dial-up, I recommend MSN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast