Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mods - Please stop commenting then locking threads

Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    All told which has been meant to be told.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    yes, now this thread needs to be locked

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    actually there was not that much need to lock it in the first place. A warning to people that were starting on personal attacks would be sufficient IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar666 View Post
    You needn't be ashamed, Grimms...But say, You are some fast judge...
    No... it's just that i'm willing to point out my own faults. Trust me i have plenty on here and in real life, Some times i jump to conclusions when i shouldn't, get to passionate, over opinionated at times, go on my anti-trader rants, among other things. I like to show both sides to the story (Even if i have to reveal my own). I like to infer, when engaging in (hopefully) intellectual conversation. Or at least thats the goal i strive towards.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    How about instead of locking threads just move them to the lounge. The abuse that follows will teach them a valuable lesson.
    Now go away.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    How about instead of locking threads just move them to the lounge. The abuse that follows will teach them a valuable lesson.
    nooo

lounge has hungry rapists....like yourself

[quote=WowZrBowser;2681265]
    However the instance you yourself specified...

" i.e. - a member wants to know a trackers IRC info, it is posted, thread is locked."

What sence does locking these types of threads have vs not locking them?
    I mean if nobody else was gonna post in them anyways cause it was already answered does it really matter if its locked or not?[/qoute]

OP got what he wants and if there is nothing more to discuss but spam then whats wrong with locking?

Quote Originally Posted by WowZrBowser View Post
    Suppose someone has another question similar to the same one asked in these types of threads... by pointlessly locking the thread you are forcing them to open a new thread instead of just adding a single posted question to an already existing thread.
    if someone else has similar question, then he can read the existing thread and get some idea? if not he can always create another thread. there already are 1000's of thread, what's wrong with creating another one?

beside, i dunno if u have noticed or not but most people here just read the title or respond to first post. So, if someone else posts another question, changes are he might not get responded. On the other hand, if he creates another thread, then the OP can get enough answer/ advice w.e.
    Last edited by squirr3l; 02-21-2008 at 01:13 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeloftime View Post
    This is the sort of thing I am talking about:

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...g-278891/page8

It really annoys me when staff here post a controversial comment in a thread and then lock the thread so that no-one can reply.
    yes i agree with u,but its the same for me

i have seen few times when someone from mods lock some thread and before that they add some very good commet(that some dont agree) and then no one cant replay on that and maybe that little suck..it would be better if they just lock thread without *final word*

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by typeoholic View Post
    I don't see the point in arguing with staff/mods. If you think they are abusing their powers, then report them to the site admin. And personally, I haven't seen one single staff member out of line here yet. I've been a moderator on a top site for 2+ years and dealing with childish actions isn't always as pleasant as most of you would like to think it is. Staff are not here to harass you; they are simply here to enforce the rules set by administration, to provide assistance wherever possible and to ensure everyone gets along peacefully. You can always try PMing that particular staff member and politely inquiring. Respect goes a long way on the internet, just as in the real world.
    My intention was never to start an argument with any staff/mods, I had something that I wanted to discuss with them and thought that we would be able to debate this in a friendly mature manner, which is exactly what has happened. This was never personal and I have a great deal of respect for the staff here.

I realise that locking a thread is a judgement call for each member of staff and like most judgement calls, get it right and no-one notices, get it wrong and people complain.

I don't blame KFlint for locking that thread he was just doing his job, in his opinion it had run its' course, I think the fact that after the thread was unlocked a number of new posters appeared would indicate that perhaps it hadn't.

My point was simply to find out whether it is really necessary to lock those types of threads and to point out that it is rather unfair to make a comment aimed at particular individuals without them having the ability to reply.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

As far as direct links its probably not needed...
    Point above is the point I wanted to make... That some threads should/do get locked properly.
    While countless others dont really need to be.
    Wrong. You've provided nothing more than in your original statement.

Quote Originally Posted by fOrUmAs View Post

yes i agree with u,but its the same for me

i have seen few times when someone from mods lock some thread and before that they add some very good commet(that some dont agree) and then no one cant replay on that and maybe that little suck..it would be better if they just lock thread without *final word*
    ^^^^ Ive seen that done countless times. In some threads ive seen up to 4 staff members post their end comments in an already locked thread
    Again, links?
    Last edited by Skizo; 02-21-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I have to agree with Skizo on this one, i have seen it done, not always intentionally(Has nothing to do with getting the last comment in on anyone, it's just letting us know the thread has been closed due to the issue being resolved). As far as mods locking the thread after making the last comment i have only seen it twice(Actually only once cause admins and mods can still comment in locked threads, found that out, only yesterday). Damn you forced my hand as well, where are the links?

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast