Thread: OVH Seedbox & Linux Distros

SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Sorry for the thread hijacking earlier, so just thought I would open a new thread and get some thoughts & ask for your experiences:

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    I think it is time I went OVH with Linux.

Anyone want to help with some hints, which distro to start off with would be the first step?
    No wai could I/would I ever spend too much on a seedbox, but as my telephone line & internet have reduced in costs, I can afford to spend what I save on a seedbox, but iGB boxes are way out of my league.

The nice £40pm 750GB box is just what I was looking for, but the only free distro is a linux one, hence my request above
    Quote Originally Posted by tusks View Post
    SgtMajor,

I'd recommend something like Ubuntu or CentOS for beginners to intermediate users. Both have excellent package management systems and are actively developed. You should be able to download and install a build of wine for utorrent, run azureus, set up an FTP with SSL fairly easily for both these distros. Also, both distros have really large communities for support.
    Thanks tusks, but what language is that you speak?
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BlueLabel's Avatar everybody jump BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    major I equip myself with dedibox now and its DAMM good
    maybe you sould try once

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelabel View Post
    maybe you should try once
    More info - what dedibox from where?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelabel View Post
    maybe you should try once
    More info - what dedibox from where?
    dedibox servers are in .fr TBH they are a PITA being customer support sucks but once you get the box it makes a nice little seedbox. They have " unmetered " bandwidth with the fine print being that if you use more than 4 tb's monthly they'll look into your account and if found torrenting your account will be suspended. As to what OS to use ? Really it's more what are you comfortable using, Do you understand how to use Linux ? Get rtorrent working ? or install WINE and get utorrent working ? If not try doing a quick google search for some quick guides to review and get a idea if it's for you. Your best option, windows with utorrent FTW. Goodluck
    Last edited by SaRkAsM; 02-20-2008 at 09:50 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    fisherman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    I havn't tried OVH but I tried a few server providers and have went back to Vectoral where I should have stayed in the first place.

I tried Tzulo,Vectoral,ZenX5 then Softlayer and now back to Vectoral.

IMO Vectoral is excellent >> www.vectoral.info

I've tried a few of their servers but now I'm content with the "Spyro" server using Centos.

I've used 2 types of linux on my servers which were Fedora and Centos and I found them both equally good and commands are very similar.

This guide is excellent and looks more difficult as it is to do >> https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...through-169620

I regularly hit speeds of 11mbs download and 10-11mbs upload speeds on a good new torrent.
    Vectoral FTP speed is also the best i've experienced as I hit speeds of upto 350kbs transfering files to my hd.

It costs me €50 per month for the Spyro server and it's worth every penny imo.

So yeah for me it would be Vectoral server running Centos and UTorrent
    Our revenge will be the laughter of our children - Bobby Sands

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Vectoral means I have to watch & manage my BW, nice idea but not an option for me

The rest of the info I will take on board though.

I can do 3-4TB on my Hosting.ie without anyone asking what I am using it for, or any troubles, but it now bores me so I thought I would dip my toes into a Linux box, so it has to be as good as Hosting.ie such as no limits, but it could do with being faster as Hosting,ie boxes can be notoriously slow in comparison to a constant 10-11 mbps etc.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    go with OVH.co.uk all the way

The 40 pound one as a huge hd like you said and you will have very little disk overload and a upload speed of maybe 5-6 MB/s, which is great

A friend of mine use it and he is really satisfied of it, i helped him set it up

Go with Fedora Core 6 Linux distro if you are thinking of linux, you can roughly follow the leeware tutorial to get it started but some nice thing like installing vsftpd aren't explained in it
    Last edited by KFlint; 02-20-2008 at 11:28 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    fisherman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    The "slowish" speed is the problem with unlimited bandwidth. I went with ZenX5 dedicated + unlimited bandwidth for somethin like $140 a month... I thought I did my homework and got a good deal but after the first hour I was frustrated as I could only hit 1- 1.5mbs upload speeds max. My download was fine hitting around 7-8mbs. I submitted a ticket asking if they were capping the upload speeds at 1.5mbs max and they said no they don't cap speeds.
    I think I lasted just a week even after paying the cash and went back to Vectoral. Yes it's capped bandwidth but for probably €60 u could have a bandwidth limit of 2500gb or more.

As i said, I've no experience of OVH so i can't comment on them or their speeds.

Good luck in gettin sorted anyway
    Our revenge will be the laughter of our children - Bobby Sands