Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Is The Sense In

Poster
    Can I make a wee suggestion.

Either lock this, or send it to the lounge, it's just getting to be a tedious moan fest.

I would love to know how many people are involved in it, but that appears to be a mystery.

Neil's domestic arrangements, or his problems with a Mod, are hardly World Events.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 August 2003 - 21:05

I believe Hobbes attempted to elicit Becka's "feminine" POV, not her "feminist" view; a veritable chasm of difference, there-nor any reason to be upset, yes?
    That's funny J2, I just sort of scratched my head at that comment and figured it might become apparent later.

The meaning between the two words is so divergent, that I didn't even connect one as a misinterpretation of the other.

Oh well, JPaul gets thanked for pointing out typos, and I get nothing after being threatened with being the main course at dinner. Just not fair!
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Do you think you got a bit off track here, I know you blokes need your pissing contests, but you were talking sense there for a while.

Anyway, I just wanted to get a perspective on what you thought, I don't think there is a superiority/inferiority problem here just a different view of what is important to a country.

Thanks hobbes for the welcome, and I think its a shame that this moderator takes his personal problems out on individuals, like one of you said, go whinge in the lounge.

Becka
    xx

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Poster
    Thanks Becka
    Like you said, a little perspective here.

There is a case for America, as a new country their full of history.
    But your right.
    A little perspective is here.

Britain "among others" has been conquered so many times it makes us steadfast and America has a time lag.
    And unfortunately they seem to be trying to make up for it with media wars.
    In that they aren't so different from us.

Neil

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Poster
    I am reasonably confident that Beka and Neil are different people.

If for no other reason, English is quite obviously not a second language to Becka.

Neil I would love to respond to your last post. However it is little more than a collection of words, which have had the misfortune to all land in the same place.

If you could try to re-arrange them into sentences which express some form of view or opinion I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I remain as ever your humble and obedient servant.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Hello Becka a very warm welcome, you should come and sit by our log-fire in the lounge sometime.
    Why are the American people so bothered by the fact that most of their history relies on someone else?
    I don't believe the USA has any such problem myself!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    For what it's worth, I googled the following (I hate to google&#33 relative to the "origin" of England:

When Egbert, King of the West-Saxons, in 829, had subjugated the other six Saxon kingdoms, he summoned a general council at Winchester, at which it was declared that henceforth Britain should be called England, its people Englishmen, and himself King of England. Originally the name was Englaland, the land of the Engles, or Angles, who came over from Sleswick, a province of Jutland. Engel (variously spelled), is an old Teutonic word, meaning "angel."

To the extent democracy reigns in England today, this was it's origin; democracy grew, or evolved, from this beginning.

Regardless of the inequities of slavery, democracy and individual freedom were founding principles of the United States, from the very beginning.

Yes, it did take a few centuries to sand off the rough edges; to bestow rights on women, slaves/blacks, etc., but we have finally got it right.

We did it in far fewer years than England.

All in all, I think we've travelled quite a distance in these relative few years.

How indelicate and insensitive of us to be proud of this accomplishment.

Shame on us.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Poster
    Originally posted by Becka@1 August 2003 - 20:27
    Why are the American people so bothered by the fact that most of their history relies on someone else?
    What on earth led you to believe we are?

If I am bothered by anything, it is someone who makes such a statement/question that assumes way too much and is not supported by fact.

Welcome to the board, Becca

Neverose

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@3 August 2003 - 01:17

Regardless of the inequities of slavery, democracy and individual freedom were founding principles of the United States, from the very beginning.

That is just preposterous. The six words before the comma make that which follows it nothing short of insulting.

I can accept specious, if pushed. However to write-off slavery is beyond the pale.

Have you no shame man. Sorry I forgot who I was speaking to.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    *cough* Do I appear now or is it still too early? *cough*

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast