Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which file to extract???

Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    when downloading a torrent and the file being downloaded comes in about 20 parts which file should i extract using winrar once the file has downloaded? i heard that you are supposed to extract a certain file whereas i jus extract any file, i heard that if you do not extract the right file a loss in quality of lets say for example a film can occur, can anyone help, is this true if so which file is supposed to be extracted when downloading torrent files that come in parts. thanks!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    you need to extract the first file in the archive usually this will have the extention .r00. You use winrar and right click on the file choose extract here which is easiest or to another location. Winrar will then unzip each part of the archive in turn to extract the original file.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    When all the files are listed alphabetically, use the LAST one to extract the archive.

The one that ends .rar
    This is the first archive.

Technically, it doesn't matter if you right click on any of the files and click "extract here"

If you want to open the archive, you should double click the .rar for best results, as sometimes small files can be missed out when you double click on another file to browse through it.

E.g. If I double click .r01 or .r06 sometimes a .dvd or .cue file will be missed out due to the way winrar packages the files.

This should have been fixed in the latest winrar releases, but they keep removing and adding this feature back in.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Neo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    First time I hear about this... I used to extract any of the files!

Always learning... Thank you guys!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    yes, you can start extraction with any of the rars, and if you cant, it will tell you

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by usersec View Post
    yes, you can start extraction with any of the rars, and if you cant, it will tell you
    Hahaha.Yea talk about all those CRC errors! To the OP ,extract any one of them and you'll get your desired file.
    Another weird thing i've noticed regarding CRC errors is that if you get an error,try unzipping again and you'll find it unzipped correctly.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Always extract the very first file via right click selecting the "Extract Here" from the right click menu. Sometimes you even have to right click selecting "open with" then browse and select winrar and extract the file through the actual winrar program screen. Only a few files give you this type of hassle though, but to be on the safe side? Extract the very first file(Using the extract here selection), usually starting in r00. Like Artemis stated.
    Last edited by grimms; 02-22-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I very much depends on the size of the unpacked file. Before I knew that I should pick the first file i.e .rar , r00 or part01, I often had corrupt when unpacking whole DVDs or big bin/cue file. I don't think I ever had a smaller file being corrupted from starting at the wrong file.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    corrupted files while extracting may very be due to bad memory, check your ram with memtest guys!
    ofcourse if memory is bad and need to be replaced there will be also other tipes of problems on the pc but this is one of the tipical..

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    i have not looked to see if it is specifically addressed (feeling a bit lazy today), but there are a lot of good guides in this sections

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...65/?order=desc
    Last edited by seppypom; 02-22-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast