Thread: EU Invests $22 Million in Next-Generation BitTorrent Client

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "A few weeks ago we reported that the EU Greens launched a pro-filesharing campaign named “I Wouldn’t Steal”. In a continued effort to support the development of P2P technology, the European Union has now invested $22 million in the development of an open-source BitTorrent client."

"The team behind the social BitTorrent client Tribler is responsible for the core P2P technology for the project, dubbed P2P-Next. The project received $22 million (15 million Euro) from the European Union and another $6 million (4 million Euro) is brought in by some of the partners.

One of the biggest names taking part is the BBC, who will use the new BitTorrent client to stream TV programs. Other partners in the P2P-Next project are the European Broadcasting Union, Lancaster University, Markenfilm, Pioneer Digital Design Centre Limited and VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland. The main goal is to develop an open source, BitTorrent-compatible client that supports live streaming."

Source: Full Article @ TorrentFreak
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Demigod's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Glad that the EU is taking this route as opposed to the MPAA and RIAA, which is just persistently sueing everybody to the end of time.

However, I don't know if this will work. After all, no price beats something being free.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    I think it's a splendid idea but seeing as the last word isn't spoken yet about the EU filesharing laws, this project may just be superfluous.

Personally, I'd love good delivery systems for content in a quality and format of my own choosing. Most media releases (be it TV, movies or music) have been lacking in all three criteria for a long time and spending money for that didn't tempt me much. Maybe now they're learning ... with a governmental development aid. Man that sounds like the USA are some kind of third world country that need the help