Thread: Noob Retention Question

Unsure

Hi all, first post and last night, first experience on using usenet and I have to admit, it's a point of no return from torrent (unless you're going to be short on cash!)

I did some researching first before trying usenet out, and the main points to consider on getting a premium usenet newsgroup is availability, speed, connection and retention. I'm pretty confused about the retention thing. Is the retention is for the storage of the say, binary applies to the newsgroup you applied, or the newsgroup where binary is initially uploaded?

For example, I have Newsgroup 1, 2, 3 with retention of 80, 100, and 200 respectively. If I posted something on Newgroup 2 and it's the 101th day already:

a) Newsgroup 3 can still have the binary and 1 and 2 doesn't
    b) Newsgroup 3 can't have the binary since it expired in Newsgroup 2?

Thanks in advance!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantis View Post
    Hi all, first post and last night, first experience on using usenet and I have to admit, it's a point of no return from torrent (unless you're going to be short on cash!)

I did some researching first before trying usenet out, and the main points to consider on getting a premium usenet newsgroup is availability, speed, connection and retention. I'm pretty confused about the retention thing. Is the retention is for the storage of the say, binary applies to the newsgroup you applied, or the newsgroup where binary is initially uploaded?

For example, I have Newsgroup 1, 2, 3 with retention of 80, 100, and 200 respectively. If I posted something on Newgroup 2 and it's the 101th day already:

a) Newsgroup 3 can still have the binary and 1 and 2 doesn't
    b) Newsgroup 3 can't have the binary since it expired in Newsgroup 2?

Thanks in advance!
    I guess you are talking about different newsgroups and not providers?

If you upload a file to whatever newsgroup(s) the files stay at the server as long as the retention.

If you are talking providers it will be like this:
    If I upload a file to Giganews it will last for 200 days. The same file that is "copied" to Usenetserver will last for 105+ days or whatever they have.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post

If you upload a file to whatever newsgroup(s) the files stay at the server as long as the retention.

If I upload a file to Giganews it will last for 200 days. The same file that is "copied" to Usenetserver will last for 105+ days or whatever they have.
    so this affects the "seeders" but not the "leechers" of the binaries? because from what I've read from usenet wiki:

"When a user posts an article, it is initially only available on that user's news server. Each news server, however, talks to one or more other servers (its "newsfeeds") and exchanges articles with them. In this fashion, the article is copied from server to server and (if all goes well) eventually reaches every server in the network."

So I was thinking, if the binaries are being copied to your providers, if the uploader provider 3 above has 200 days retention, it will only have 100 days to provider 2? So if you are subscribed to provider to you only have 100 days to download it?

oops... read to fast... it's clear now! So what I've assumed is correct time to change provider next month then!
    Last edited by Lantis; 02-21-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post

so this affects the "seeders" but not the "leechers" of the binaries? because from what I've read from usenet wiki:

"When a user posts an article, it is initially only available on that user's news server. Each news server, however, talks to one or more other servers (its "newsfeeds") and exchanges articles with them. In this fashion, the article is copied from server to server and (if all goes well) eventually reaches every server in the network."

So I was thinking, if the binaries are being copied to your providers, if the uploader provider 3 above has 200 days retention, it will only have 100 days to provider 2? So if you are subscribed to provider to you only have 100 days to download it?
    If you sign up @ Usenetserver you will have access to my file 105+ days. No matter what retention I got @ Giganews.

It doesn't matter how many newgsgroups I post the same files too either.

Good hehe
    Last edited by MultiForce; 02-21-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    DarthOUsenet
    FYI everyone Newshosting is at 110 days bin retention up from 70, they also have 20 connections now with SSL

FST Link:

http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500

-Cheers

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    You had me very confused there with the "seeders and leechers" post Lantis - but it seems you have it under wraps now.

Like Multiforce said if you are with a good provider then no matter what it is that gets posted up on Usenet -YOU will have access to it dependent on YOUR provider's retention rate (and newsgroup accessibility of course).

Oh and take retention rates with a pinch of salt - some providers can be very crafty with what their definition of "retention times" are .

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DepthCharge View Post
    You had me very confused there with the "seeders and leechers" post Lantis - but it seems you have it under wraps now.

Like Multiforce said if you are with a good provider then no matter what it is that gets posted up on Usenet -YOU will have access to it dependent on YOUR provider's retention rate (and newsgroup accessibility of course).

Oh and take retention rates with a pinch of salt - some providers can be very crafty with what their definition of "retention times" are .
    well... I used the "seeder" and "leecher" with a quote so as to have reference with torrents, hehehe... I'm new to this thing and I'm loving it!

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Newsgroups (and News-Servers) are 'electronic bucket brigades'. Back in the 'olden days' a handful of years ago, the links between the servers were fragile at best, and most posters (not 'seeders'), would send the files to several newsgroups at once, hoping that both the inter-transmissions and the retention would be enough to enable folks to 'grab' the files; most 'dedicated' 'leechers' would have more than one server account, so that they could 'chase down' the bits and pieces that wouldn't be available on their 'primary' server (usually their ISP's server).

Virtually all the really good 'paid' servers sold their bits via 'blocks', which folks would buy a few of to enable 'filling in' the missing bits.

That's all gone the way of the dinosaurs. You can 'test' the reliability of the system today (if you have a few accounts), by posting something small (like a text file) to one server, then seeing how fast (and accurate) it gets 'around the planet', so to speak.

Again, 'back in the day', it might take half a day or more, and a good percentage of the time be mangled in the 'bucket brigade'. Nowadays, it'll maybe take, at most, 30 seconds to travel from a US server to Europe and beyond. With zero errors.

But some folks insist on posting to multiple newsgroups, for some reason. It's just not nessesary anymore.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I believe it's like this.

You subscribe to a certain server, which provides a certain amount of retention. By connecting to that server, you can download any article up to that retention, as long as the Usenet provider carries that group.