Thread: Fixing Corrupted Images

Hello, this only works on images, and im not sure if it will work with all files (i only did this with two files,both games.)Oh and of course, if its not verified then the chance of this working is even slimer becuase the file might be fake any way and this is for fixing corrupted files not false ones.

Well here it goes

Use something like Daemon tools or Alcohol 120 (or any other virtual driver) and explore the Image. Copy the contents of the Image. Now, create a folder and paste the contents of the image you just copied into it. If it says that it could not copy from driver of something along that line then thats a corrupted file. When you run into one of these, go back into your Image and create a Text document named "Corrupted Files List" (or what ever you feel like naming) and paste the file name and directory into it. You may have to do it more then once so keep it open. Go back and pick up where you left off in copying in pasting (becuase once you run into a corrupted file it stops pasting anything after that corrupted file.) After you have finished copying the entire contents of the image, Rename the image, and redownload it. When the image is done downloading, simply open the text file entitled "Corrupted Files List"(or what ever you named it) and copy and paste the corrupted files into the first image that you had. This should fix what ever was corrupted, if you find you can't tranfer a file from the second image to the first than that file is corrupted in the second one too, and you have to get it from another image.

Hope this helps

Please be considerate enough to make a back up Image so you can restore it once you have finished burning it so other people may be able to download it from you
    [Edit 2 or 3..:] Sry if its confusing but as you can tell, i'm not very good at explaining things.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Supernode's Avatar SWEDISH BT Rep: +1
    If this is real, I want to love U B) B) B) B) B) B)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    A very confusing read. It looks like you're trying to explain how to reinsert files into a damaged archive.
    A simpler method when you use kazaa is to just search for the part you need. A lot of noobs don't know any better and will open all files into their shared folder. Yes, CD images too. What you suggested was to redownload the entire program again just to fix one file in the original. Why bother? If both turn out to be corrupt at the same point there's nothing you can do without advanced editing skills.
    If they have damaged or missing files in different places, just paste one into the other and the largest will be offered as a replacement confirmation. All missing files will just be merged back into the program.

*And softwareworld is the right place for a discussion on file repair

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I can see what your saying about getting the files individualy(i at first thought of that as an option too) but its very hard to find the files individualy and it may be risky. I like to play it safe and would rather spend a few hours downloading the entire file, then risk having to wipe my computer, then reinstalling the OS and programs. I've already done this serveral times this year, and don't really feel like doing it any more. They open they're files into thier shared folder? , wow that's kind of...yah...

[Edit]Spelling error

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    So again then , I have to ask why you wouldn't just delete the first file if you're going to download it again anyway? Unless you have enormous hard drives and don't mind storing a lot of trash?
    I do "repair" a lot of software, but for the most it really isn't worth the bother.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Since it is an image file, why not use cdmage to repair the corrupt sectors and files?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I do have a rather large hard drive, and i suggested listing the corupted files then using the second file to paste the listed corrupted files into the first, then you can delete the second

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Like skelly said, There are enough repair tools out now to fix most minor errors. Regardless, there's no need for notepad in the repair process, Windows will manage different files when you merge them and alert you or ask you to confirm file replacement. The largest file will usually be offered and it's likely to be the more complete copy.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    True, but when i was tring to repair the image i downloaded, it was a some what important file, but the game wasnt too popular(and as i said, i did not want to risk infection) so i was left no alternative but to redownload the game. So the way i suggested is a last resort when all else fails.

[Edit] Spelling, I edit too much...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Akcsfreak: I'm guessing you haven't heard of KCF. You can use it to redownload parts of your corrupted CD images. And since CDmage can tell you exactly which sectors are corrupt, you can redownload very small sections of each file.

And I've used a method very similar to the one you described, before I had KCF. But now that I have KCF, fixing files is much easier and faster.
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.