Thread: Utorrent 1.6.1 revisited

kostnkost's Avatar "Otay" BT Rep: +1
    I know I'm late to the party on these discussions as there were plenty of topics about this subject, but I have a quick question.

I am seeding a very popular torrents at the moment(using 1.6.1), and I noticed in the peer tab that most if not all are using either U1770 or bitcomet(various versions). I would say this is the majority I see right now.

Is it safe to say that most, if not all made the switch over from 1.6.1? It still works for me and I have no problems what so ever with 1.6.1.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Depends on the BT tracker. Some still allow it, but most don't. Most BT members have migrated to the latest utorrent version, which is 1.7.7. Some use the old utorrent 1.6.1.(My favorite version) with trackers that still allow it and 1.7.7. for the trackers that have banned all other versions below 1.7.7. Also there is the choice to use Azerues. I don't liek that client though. It hogs up my cpu resources, but other members can't live without it. To each it's own.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    if you use multiple private sites then its almost a guarantee that the version of utorrent you'd use would be 1.7.7 because a lot of sites have banned all versions prior to 1.7.7. a couple people are using the beta 1.8 but its not very common yet.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    if you use multiple private sites then its almost a guarantee that the version of utorrent you'd use would be 1.7.7 because a lot of sites have banned all versions prior to 1.7.7. a couple people are using the beta 1.8 but its not very common yet.
    Spot on mate. I for one was loath to move on to 1.7.7 I saw no problem with 1.6.1. Also I had a lot of problems with it using 100% CPU and Using more than a GB of ram when I had a lot of torrents going. After much dicking around I figure out it was conflicting with Outpost and solved the problem. I still resent being forced to switch over though out of what I can only see as arrogance on the part of certain tracker staff.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Its funny you mention " arrogance on the part of certain tracker staff " as a site I joined recommends dumping Uttorrent all together and switching to Azureus .

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    Quote Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
    I know I'm late to the party on these discussions as there were plenty of topics about this subject, but I have a quick question.

I am seeding a very popular torrents at the moment(using 1.6.1), and I noticed in the peer tab that most if not all are using either U1770 or bitcomet(various versions). I would say this is the majority I see right now.

Is it safe to say that most, if not all made the switch over from 1.6.1? It still works for me and I have no problems what so ever with 1.6.1.
    On most popular sites 161 is banned and u can only use for utorrent users the newest 177 version, so this is why u seen many more people with 177

and yea u should use 177 its more secure then 161

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I only know a few sites that banned 1.6.1 and I only upgraded to 1.7.7 because of them. I've been thinking about dumping it as a whole as I don't like 1.7.7 very much.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I find no difference in the two. I use 1.7.7 with no problems at all.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by fOrUmAs View Post
    and yea u should use 177 its more secure then 161
    It's not more secure, it's just what utorrent developers want you to believe. So many people were happy with utorrent 1.6.1 build 490. It was a scare tactic on utorrents behalf, that every tracker fell for in the beginning(some have reverted their decisions to allow 1.6.1). Some trackers are still weary. Which happens to be some of the better trackers with high value(Not level bullshit either). So thats why a lot of users have migrated to the newer 1.7.7. You'll be safe with the newest version, as far as the clients that are allowed rules, trackers have within their FAQ. There are some sites that completely banned 1.7 version of utorrent. Which peeves me, cause i rather use 1.6.1 anyways. But whats done, already has been done.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Alco23's Avatar Karma... BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    I only have two major sites that ban 1.6.1, for those I use Deluge. Everything else I still use 1.6.1. I have tried 1.7.x versions but have gone back to 1.6.1 since it works the best for me.

Sharing the love