Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SCT's ratio system is severely flawed.

Urgent

SCT's system is flawed.

1. You can seed 40 torrents for a month but if your ratio doesn't go above 1.0, you get disabled.

So your only option is to donate, which is retarded. Just because you seeded torrents nobody is on doesn't make you a bad user. Since they have a low ratio automatic warning in place, all they want is money. The system would make sense if it had 100,000 members but since only 19,000 members are on the site, obtaining a positive ratio is extremely difficult.

2. Almost everyone owns a seedbox and overseeds.

This is the other flawed aspect on SCT. This makes the "good user" with the average connection speed who doesn't want to spend money on free scene releases impossible to reach a positive ratio. Yes, it makes your downloads faster but speed isn't the issue if you highly reinforce the ratio system. If speed was a problem, I highly doubt Demonoid would have been popular.

Hopping on popular torrents doesn't help out one bit. I hate it when the mods tell you to get something you don't want. That's ridiculous. You should get what you want and WHEN YOU WANT IT. When I first started out, I had to get a ridiculous movie pack just to survive. Sorry, when I sign up to a torrent site I come for the torrents I want, not the torrents I don't need just to stay alive on the site.

3. 72 hour seeding rule is unreasonable if you don't have a seedbox or a blazing fast connection.

It doesn't matter how long you seed if you can't upload anything. This is not the user's fault, it is the site's fault. If you take a 4.40gb movie and seeded it to 72.80gb's, you just cheated out every good user out there. This is why ratio cheaters are created. In reality a guy who overseeds IS IN THE SAME EXACT LEAGUE AS A CHEATER. The overseeder cheated out every good user who had good intent to give a 1:1 ratio back. The cheater only cheated to stay alive on the site or he/she is a pure leecher.

A lot of different things comes to play when people don't reach the 72 hour seed period. For instance, a person can have a 40GB hdd and he could be nearing his limit. Something new comes out and he wants it, in order to get it, he has to delete several torrents his seeding. I see nothing wrong with that at all. With a limit of 20,000 users, 36 hours is a "much more reasonable" rule. Not too long and not too short. Most of the users on SCT can seed a DVDR file in 20 minutes or less so 72 hours can be the cause of overseeding but it's up to the user's discretion to stop the seeding once it reaches a 1:1 ratio.

It took me forever to become a power user, let alone an sct whore. I'm bringing this issue out because I see a lot of new users complaining in the forums and Mr. BB, just trashes the topic and (insert_here) tells you if your speed sucks, donate.

SCT follows Darwin's Theory, survival of the fittest only applies here. You either have a blazing fast connection or your rich. The bottom line, we torrent because its we want free stuff. A pirate's motto is to take what you want and give nothing back.

Donating to keep a site alive is misleading. A 70GB upload for $50? That may seem reasonable to the desperate eye but really, do they buy you your 500GB HDD's, 30 pack DVD-R's and pay your bills?

SCT can easily fix and improve upon this issue if they simply tried. If the staff is too busy working, they can pay their own server costs.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Femto View Post
    SCT's system is flawed.

1. You can seed 40 torrents for a month but if your ratio doesn't go above 1.0, you get disabled.

So your only option is to donate, which is retarded. Just because you seeded torrents nobody is on doesn't make you a bad user. Since they have a low ratio automatic warning in place, all they want is money. The system would make sense if it had 100,000 members but since only 19,000 members are on the site, obtaining a positive ratio is extremely difficult.

2. Almost everyone owns a seedbox and overseeds.

This is the other flawed aspect on SCT. This makes the "good user" with the average connection speed who doesn't want to spend money on free scene releases impossible to reach a positive ratio. Yes, it makes your downloads faster but speed isn't the issue if you highly reinforce the ratio system. If speed was a problem, I highly doubt Demonoid would have been popular.

Hopping on popular torrents doesn't help out one bit. I hate it when the mods tell you to get something you don't want. That's ridiculous. You should get what you want and WHEN YOU WANT IT. When I first started out, I had to get a ridiculous movie pack just to survive. Sorry, when I sign up to a torrent site I come for the torrents I want, not the torrents I don't need just to stay alive on the site.

3. 72 hour seeding rule is unreasonable if you don't have a seedbox or a blazing fast connection.

It doesn't matter how long you seed if you can't upload anything. This is not the user's fault, it is the site's fault. If you take a 4.40gb movie and seeded it to 72.80gb's, you just cheated out every good user out there. This is why ratio cheaters are created. In reality a guy who overseeds IS IN THE SAME EXACT LEAGUE AS A CHEATER. The overseeder cheated out every good user who had good intent to give a 1:1 ratio back. The cheater only cheated to stay alive on the site or he/she is a pure leecher.

A lot of different things comes to play when people don't reach the 72 hour seed period. For instance, a person can have a 40GB hdd and he could be nearing his limit. Something new comes out and he wants it, in order to get it, he has to delete several torrents his seeding. I see nothing wrong with that at all. With a limit of 20,000 users, 36 hours is a "much more reasonable" rule. Not too long and not too short. Most of the users on SCT can seed a DVDR file in 20 minutes or less so 72 hours can be the cause of overseeding but it's up to the user's discretion to stop the seeding once it reaches a 1:1 ratio.

It took me forever to become a power user, let alone an sct whore. I'm bringing this issue out because I see a lot of new users complaining in the forums and Mr. BB, just trashes the topic and (insert_here) tells you if your speed sucks, donate.

SCT follows Darwin's Theory, survival of the fittest only applies here. You either have a blazing fast connection or your rich. The bottom line, we torrent because its we want free stuff. A pirate's motto is to take what you want and give nothing back.

Donating to keep a site alive is misleading. A 70GB upload for $50? That may seem reasonable to the desperate eye but really, do they buy you your 500GB HDD's, 30 pack DVD-R's and pay your bills?

SCT can easily fix and improve upon this issue if they simply tried. If the staff is too busy working, they can pay their own server costs.
    In all fairness, I had over a 4.0 ratio (40GB UP) with just my 40kb/s connection. I downloaded TV shows and popular movies I wanted. The reality is, if you don't seed what people want you won't get a decent upload, so you have to make do and download popular torrents. It's like that on several others sites.

I want to add a note that although it may seem hard to seed because of the rules, complaining about it won't help you one bit. You might have a poor connection, so limit your download speed if you have to. I have a sandvined Comcast (was 10MB) 6MB connection that I have to use to seed every tracker I'm on. I am not glorifying myself but using my status as an example that although you may not make PU, you can still upload just fine without being disabled.
    Last edited by krunktastic; 02-24-2008 at 04:19 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I have a very slow connection. I recommend downloading some movie packs, popular movie files, and also some of the lowest seeded content. The key though is leaving the torrents seeded. Right now i'm seeding about 20 torrents at ScT. I been seeding them since December. You really have to just wait it out. Seed until it dies or you have a ratio over 1:1. It's tough I know, but it is more then doable. Also do some partial seeding as well.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    dragos's Avatar . BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    A pirate's motto is to take what you want and give nothing back.
    your entire post consists of pure stupid, but this reply is just ... beyond stupid. You should just turn off your pc and go to school or smth

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Isn't this similar to most private trackers? What about SCTs system is flawed?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    maybe leeching 40 torrents at once was not the way to go?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Interesting post...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    The system would make sense if it had 100,000 members but since only 19,000 members are on the site, obtaining a positive ratio is extremely difficult.
    So why not just use a site with more members that is easier to seed on?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    F3n1x's Avatar 0x34a BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    If you can't find a way to seed in Scenetorrents, use torrentleech or other easy seed site.
    You need leech popular things from other places and after seed in scenetorrents.

e.g: yesterday the rambo.r5.repack.mvs

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    maybe if you have a slow internet connection than ScT is not for you mate. as above poster said, use TL or RevTT, because you don't care about speed. You care about peers who don't have seedboxes, and those 2 alternatives are the logical places to go for someone with your standards

fuck the tracker levels and go with what suits you best. if you're struggling to maintain ratio then Sct sounds like a hassle to have anyways

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast