Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Newsgroups vs high level trackers

BANNED BT Rep: +1
    And to think all the nay sayers would probably be in newsgroups if they had the $$.Face it, you have to pay for a reason, its so much better, content and speed, just leech like hell withought ratio and max your connection.
    Last edited by rogerse; 03-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    pay = fail

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    asskissing = fail

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I prefer Usenet overall and only use BT for files I can't get there.

For me it's faster, more comprehensive and more secure.

My isp provides access, but not to all groups. Enough to fill my needs though.

I rarely if ever cannot get what I want using both systems. So for me Usenet is better but I wouldn't want to be without private trackers.

I never, ever use public trackers.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I use Bt because it's free. No shame in that. I already have to pay enough to my ISP, to go waisting some more money to do something I can also do for free with BT. OK ... there's the ratio thingie but that's just peanuts IMHO.

A community is nice but I believe that there are a lot more communities than just the BT-community.

And about the pré-speed ... well ... that is obviously not a very intelligent discussion. If something is available 5 minutes earlier on Bt than on usenet, who are we to complain about that. If you really wanna be the fastest than try to get into one of the few topsitez.

Only than you can truly say you were the fastest to get something (but at what cost would that be, when you know what standards you have to meet to get in there).

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Torrent ftw, will never pay for downloadin', yeah perhaps paying to keep some communities live is better

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    I think usenet is good for current releases it seems like they lack in things released a while back.

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    well i will never knock newsgroups because i never used them and i do hear good things about them but i have to choose bt because i don't have to pay and the communities r great.

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by boxmanuser View Post
    I think usenet is good for current releases it seems like they lack in things released a while back.
    no disrespect, but do you even know about how the retention period works??

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Usenet retention is very good compared to 0day torrent sites, but specialized sites like bitmetv or oink (rip) are even better.

And torrent sites give you more information about the files. Usually you get all important information directly from the uploader. You know video resolution, bitrate, languages, subtitles and so on after one simple click. Good uploaders also add screenshots and compare their release to similar ones.

If you use newzbin or other indexing sites you depend on different people to index everything. Some of this people are really good, but most are not. They forget to use important tags like "1080p" and some languages, they forget to index some episodes of a show or tag them in a different way, so you don't find them. Sometimes they miss the nfo files, sometimes they don't add the pars. In the end you have to use RAW view and search for nfo files on your own. Then you have to compare all those nfo files and decide which one might be the best.

If you don't care about quality this is not much of a problem, but for movie/tv/music collectors and perfectionists usenet is much more work than seeding back some torrents. My way of using usenet is to look in torrent sites for the files I want and then do a usenet RAW search for that release. Either I can download it from usenet or I have to use one of my buffers in bittorrent. Anyway I try to seed the file on bittorrent to increase my buffer.

For some of my favorite shows I use RSS to autostart the torrents and get a good ratio without having to bother with usenet at all.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast