Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why weren't they shot ?

Climate protest on Heathrow plane

Where the bloody hell are the armed police who are supposed to protect all those people trapped in aircraft ?

These bloody stupid people could have been suicide bombers, they should have been shot!

It's about time someone held these bloody useless policemen to account.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Did you even read the article?

"It said two women and two men crossed the tarmac at the airport after the passengers had disembarked."

"BAA said operations at the airport were not affected and described the protest as "unlawful and irresponsible".
    "

Why would officials shoot 4 civilians who were taping a sign to an empty plane?

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post
    Climate protest on Heathrow plane

Where the bloody hell are the armed police who are supposed to protect all those people trapped in aircraft ?

These bloody stupid people could have been suicide bombers, they should have been shot!

It's about time someone held these bloody useless policemen to account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeb
    It said two women and two men crossed the tarmac at the airport after the passengers had disembarked.
    It says everyone had already got off the plane

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeb
    It said two women and two men crossed the tarmac at the airport after the passengers had disembarked.
    It says everyone had already got off the plane
    Ah! So you think the airport police knew in advance that they were going to an empty plane do you ?

And you think that empty planes with fuel tanks full of fumes don't make a hell of a big bang do you ?

So come on then tell me how you think the police gained this foresight about the intentions of these people, enough foresight according to you to know that these people didn't pose a threat to people trapped in a tin can ?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Did you even read the article?

"It said two women and two men crossed the tarmac at the airport after the passengers had disembarked."

"BAA said operations at the airport were not affected and described the protest as "unlawful and irresponsible".
    "

Why would officials shoot 4 civilians who were taping a sign to an empty plane?
    'civilians' ? Really ? How do you think the police knew they were civilians ? I mean what do suicide bombers look like do you think ? Do they have flashing signs over their heads that say "I'm a suicide bomber" or something ?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    The other report I read said they came out of the terminal building and walked over to the empty plane. Therefore it can be reasonably assumed that they had already been screened for explosives.

You can't stop people walking from terminal buildings to planes, otherwise no-one would be able to get on.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    The other report I read said they came out of the terminal building and walked over to the empty plane. Therefore it can be reasonably assumed that they had already been screened for explosives.

You can't stop people walking from terminal buildings to planes, otherwise no-one would be able to get on.
    So you're saying they're lying about breaching security then ? And that they'd been screened ?

Oh and I'm fairly sure that no one should be walking across the tarmac unless they are airport staff who have been cleared for and trained in airside procedures, or passengers being guided by trained staff.
    Last edited by manicgeek; 02-25-2008 at 11:53 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    No, I'm saying your sensationalising what is actually a minor incident

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    No, I'm saying your sensationalising what is actually a minor incident
    No I'm not!

I'm asking what the point of having armed police at airports is ?

If they're not going to actually shoot people who could well be a threat to the people using that facility what is the point of them being there ?

Why will they yet again not be held to account for not shooting these people ? They have failed in their primary mission surely ?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    You can't just shoot people because you don't like the look of them, or they may have taken a wrong turn. The Stockwell Tube incident proved that.

If they had shot them there would be all sorts of calls about police brutality, overreaction, bad intelligence, and there would have been calls for resignations, etc.

We don't really know the full facts yet, but I'm pretty sure that the police were more aware of what's going on than you seem to believe. I can only hope that as soon as they made it to the tarmac they were under surveillance, and options about how to handle them were being weighed up.

It was probably quickly apparent that the only danger they posed was to themselves.

As far as I am aware, nobody has ever tried to blow up a plane on the ground.

The armed police are usually there to stop terrorists boarding planes about to take off, or causing mayhem in the terminal buildings themselves.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast