Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: why share, when you can use people?

DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    So I dont get why people seem to think that one is so bad, but the other is ok. This guy might sell an invite for a few bucks (I cant see anyone paying $120 as you suggest), but the TL sysops make thousands every month.. why is this guy worse?
    Look up Elite torrents and you will see the difference which is the sysOP might be making thousands every month (I guess you have bank statements to prove this and know more then me) but he/she is also the one that faces the biggest risk.

Now look at the invite seller he makes money off invites that were given to him/her and probably even scams good users into getting what ever invite he needs to make the sale. Will this guy ever face any kind of legal case if he gets busted selling invites the answer of course is no.

As for how much people are willing to pay for a invite or account you would be amazed I have seen someone asking 1000 euros for two accounts. The user got caught and a global ban was put in place, so for anyone that wants to sell accounts go ahead and do it but you put at risk your accounts along with all the people that you scammed into giving you an account.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    So I dont get why people seem to think that one is so bad, but the other is ok. This guy might sell an invite for a few bucks (I cant see anyone paying $120 as you suggest), but the TL sysops make thousands every month.. why is this guy worse?
    Look up Elite torrents and you will see the difference which is the sysOP might be making thousands every month (I guess you have bank statements to prove this and know more then me) but he/she is also the one that faces the biggest risk.

Now look at the invite seller he makes money off invites that were given to him/her and probably even scams good users into getting what ever invite he needs to make the sale. Will this guy ever face any kind of legal case if he gets busted selling invites the answer of course is no.

As for how much people are willing to pay for a invite or account you would be amazed I have seen someone asking 1000 euros for two accounts. The user got caught and a global ban was put in place, so for anyone that wants to sell accounts go ahead and do it but you put at risk your accounts along with all the people that you scammed into giving you an account.
    So what if the sysop faces a greater deal of risk. How does the fact that make profiting off someone else's work more moral? And if it does, then according to that logic, selling invites is really wrong but selling pirate dvds on a large scale (for which you can face lengthy prison sentences) is ok.
    The truth of the matter is that the only reason people think that selling invites is worse than what many sysops are doing is because the invite seller is more obvious in their intent to make money. When you disect it however, there is no material difference between the two and to say one is wrong but the other is fine is to hold a complete double standard.

Re the price of invites... You might see someone trying to sell for $1000 but I very much doubt anyone would pay that much for it. A quick scan of ebay reveals that most go in the $10-$40 range depending on the site. Not that it really matters. Even if you could sell in an invite for anywhere close to $1000 it would still be small change to what the sysops of sites like TL make each month.
    Last edited by Zeus; 02-27-2008 at 09:33 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Even if you could sell in an invite for anywhere close to $1000 it would still be small change to what the sysops of sites like TL make each month.
    how do you know how much sysops make per month? do you have an insight in their profit and loss account or are you just guessing from what you've heard?

are you a greek financial consultant for the tl owners?

please share your valuable inside knowledge with us!

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Well I havent seen their accounts, but I do know roughly how many vips they have and i am able to do maths. And even if you dont believe me just search the forums here, kingrob has admitted on several occassions that the TL sysops profit from the site, i seem to remember his words were something like "it would be stupid to deny it". And I very much doubt TL are the only ones. Does anyone really believe that every site out there really puts every surplus $ aside in case of a rainy day?

So unless anyone here honestly believes that all sites are run by altruistic individuals who never make a penny, does anyone accept that invite selling isnt any worse? And if so, then you cant really call for invite sellers to be globally banned without be willing to do the same for those sysops and without being willing to stop using those sites which are obviously geared towards making money. Of course, that will never happen. It is, after all, so much easier to take the moral high ground when it involves no personal sacrifice.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Well I havent seen their accounts
    ok, me neither. that's why i don't speculate and don't take part in discussions based on speculations.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    I never said one is more moral then another and I am sure running a site like TL takes no personal sacrifice just like invite selling doesn't either.

You might see many VIPs but just realize that when you get VIP for donating it usually lasts for a few months so you cant keep counting each member that donates every month at what site you are trying to audit to find out how much is coming in.

And this my last post on this since we have gone off topic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234