Thread: Recovering a raid 0 array

necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    A while back my PC died (Abit NF7-S v2.0 w/ AMD XP3200)I had 2 HDDs in a Raid0 Array running off the Onboard Silicon Image Sil 3112A SATA PCI Controller. I want to get some files off there, about 100gb of music from oink.

Is there any simple way to access the array without going and buying another Silicon Image controller? Current PC has a JMicronŽ JMB363 SATA controller, also have a Via 6421A PCI card.

I guess what I'm saying is HELP!!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    My guess is that you will need to use a Silicon Image raid controller to recover the data. Any other solution would require access to the drives as physical devices rather than logical volumes.

It can be done, but getting hold of the software would probably be impossible without paying for it, and that's almost certainly going to be prohibitively expensive.

Why not look on Ebay? See if you can find a PCI card using that chip, they are fairly common and you can always sell it again afterwards.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yeah I kinda figured I need another Silicon Image controller. Any idea if I need the exact same one or will any newer controller work as well?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Hi, I don't really know about the Silicon Image controller but i do have experience with ASUS onboard Promise SATA controller.
    I had a really old board that i bought about 4 years ago and when it died after 2 years and 11 months ASUS had to replace it (under warranty).
    Since they did not have that model anymore they gave me a better board with a different controller.
    Luckily, i had saved my exact Array settings, and after i defined it it worked without any problems...

I am not sure that it will work the same with a Silicon Image controller, but at least there's some hope...

I have experience in reconstruction of Arrays and formatted drives
    So if you get a hold of a software and you need some a assistance, just give me a shout.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I might take you up on that Sagib. I ordered a Silicon Image controller off ebay, just waiting for it to arrive. Then the real fun starts. As far as what settings I used, I have no idea. I let the controller set it up, pretty sure it used the automatic or default settings.

I'm hoping I can just plug the drives in and have it work. Fingers crossed.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    cRaZyzMaN's Avatar Benfica Fan BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    did you try spinrite?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by necromantic View Post
    I might take you up on that Sagib. I ordered a Silicon Image controller off ebay, just waiting for it to arrive. Then the real fun starts. As far as what settings I used, I have no idea. I let the controller set it up, pretty sure it used the automatic or default settings.

I'm hoping I can just plug the drives in and have it work. Fingers crossed.
    Crossing fingers for you man!
    Let me know how it goes...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Good news!!! I finally got around to installing the PCI card and HDDs this weekend. Fired it up and windows instantly recognized the raid array, what a relief. It's kinda neat to look at a year old snapshot of your computer. I had just downloaded 300 in 720p before it went down

Only glitch I ran into is after a reboot XP decided to reinstall my sata drivers and it couldn't recognize the array anymore. After rebooting 2 or 3 more times it finally picked it up. Not sure what that was about

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I know this won't be of any help to you now you have your system running again, but you can use RAID Reconstructor from Runtime Software to recover the data from failed RAID 0 and 5 systems, and it works a treat!