Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: NaQ's Complete Setup Guide for Linux Seedboxes (Fedora Core/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu)

getting truecrypt to work on ubuntu should not be a problem! The new version 5 worked flawless on my ubuntu 7.10 desktop!
    Truecrypt v5.0 Gui Released!
    Truecrypt problem to install on Ubuntu Server 7.10

Truecrypt under linux doesn't support all the features that are available under windows! OS disk encryption under linux! But that is just a nice to have!

Nice tutorial anyway!
    Last edited by goodkat; 03-01-2008 at 01:04 PM.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #12
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Thanks for the info. If you actually read through the whole thing (quite long ), you'll notice that instructions for Debian/Ubuntu are missing in several places. I don't have access to Debian/Ubuntu right now to find out, so if you know them, please post what you can.

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    wow superb

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    Thanks for the info. If you actually read through the whole thing (quite long ), you'll notice that instructions for Debian/Ubuntu are missing in several places. I don't have access to Debian/Ubuntu right now to find out, so if you know them, please post what you can.
    euh, I've a box with ubuntu in my network! Will try your guide on it and fill in the gaps! If I have any spare time this week!

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #15
    Nice guide I must say...Helped me out a lot with configuring my server. Although, I was wondering on a VPS system can't they monitor all your processes that are running from the main root login to the system?

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #16
    Some additional remark to the guide! I tested it on my ubuntu server running in my own network! Most works but sudo command should be added!

System Updates

# sudo apt-get update
    # sudo apt-get upgrade

3. Install Softwares

# sudo apt-get install vnc4server wine xterm fluxbox vsftpd firefox vnstat
    # update-menus

5. Setup VNC Desktop

Start the ubuntu part with an additional

sudo update-menus

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=371144

Flash & Firefox

Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    Start firefox through xterm ‘firefox’

Truecrypt

Tested on ubuntu server:

Code:
    wget http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads/truecrypt-5.0a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz

tar xfs truecrypt-5.0a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz

sudo dpkg -i truecrypt-5.0a/truecrypt_5.0a-0_i386.deb
    Then you should be able to run ‘truecrypt’ on your xterm during a vnc session and make an encrypted volume through the graphical interface (Create Volume)!

If you’ve trouble mounting the file because your user isn’t in the sudoers file do the following!
    Code:
    su
    nano /etc/sudoers
    add pirate (the user) here!
    Code:
     # User privilege specification
    root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
    pirate ALL=(ALL) ALL
    Save and exit file!
    Code:
    exit
    Now you should be able to mount the volume you just created through the gui!

Configure utorrent in such a way that it will use the path where the truecrypt volume is mounted!
    In this case it will be /media/truecrypt1 (not tested!)

Note: if you close the xterm window of truecrypt only the GUI closes not the volume!
    Last edited by goodkat; 03-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #17
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Thanks a lot goodkat for the info. You won't mind if I add it to the 1st post, right? If so, I'll add it near the end of the week when I have some time. Also, I'm not sure if I want to use sudo in the guide, I think su is enough.. Maybe I'll add it as an additional section, but not a requirement for following any other sections.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #18
    Good news ^^ : i've manage to use truecrypt with Fedora 6 without any complex methods ^^

Only some package to download, install, update or replace. Extraction of the bin of truecrypt 5 and it's ready to use ^^

As i tried a lot of things and install different package, i'm going to do a clean install tonight to see what is really necessary and i will give the tuto ^^ (and at the same time, i will test you whole guide for fedora (on the ovh box) to see if everything is ok ^^

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #19
    Firestarter on ubuntu!

Code:
    apt-get install firestarter
    than run 'firestarter' through xterm and configure it through the wizard! Just plain and simple! Make sure to add the ports mentioned in this tutorial (ports 54320 - 54322)!

Code:
    update-menus
    if you want a nice menu item in fluxbox!

Never ever click on 'lock firewall'

Last edited by goodkat; 03-04-2008 at 04:49 PM.

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #20
    great guide naq and everyone who worked on it !!

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast