Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: NaQ's Complete Setup Guide for Linux Seedboxes (Fedora Core/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu)

Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    It's robbery if they are gonna give you the 2GB freebie too.

Little update:
    - Spent some time going over the guide. Lots of grammar, spelling, and sentence adjustments were done.

- Tested the truecrypt FAT volume, no difference really... My current server's hardware is horrible though, might be the main problem:

Pentium4 1.5Ghz
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB IDE HD.

Looks like I'll write the truecrypt guide, since the performance reported by dieudesorcs seems OK, as well as from how it works great on my laptop. Much appreciated for your efforts in this.

I'm getting this server next week, will test Truecrypt on it:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2
    - 4 GB DDR 2 RAM
    - 2 x 400 GB SATA II HDD
    - 1gb uplink
    - traffic limit 5TB
    - 5 IPs

Quite a beast.
    Last edited by naq; 03-09-2008 at 03:01 PM.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #32
    Thanks for the guide. it'll come in helpful

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #33
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    On the options when ordering it said free 1gb or 2gb, I choose 2 of course

1 min later, the email:

"We confirm the receipt of your payment
    corresponding to order no. 3745352

Your order no. 3745352 is processed."

Which was nice of them

And you have been PMd over the server, if happy, amend your message to prevent more PMs arriving.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #34
    Actatoi's Avatar 2+2 is 5 if I say so BT Rep: +2
    Hey

I downloaded 1 gig big file from the ftp yesterday without any problem, then put on a 11gb big pack for download, everything were going fine. Then I went to bed and woke up to a error,

] Syntax error: command unrecognized. Failed to establish data socket.

This happened when 98% of the pack were done, and windows firewall also had popped up with that it had blocked "ftp engine" or similiar, I clicked unblock but it won't work. Also tried changing some pasv, port options but it won't work.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?
    What an ordinary day, the extraordinary way.

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #35
    Not sure what went wrong. FTP supports resume, so just restart the failed transfers?
    "failed to establish data socket" most likely meant something went wrong with the ftp server. Can you login to your server with FTP? Maybe you need to restart it?

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #36
    Hi.

First of all, great topic, kudos to you, naq!

Second of all, I had some trouble with VNC viewer. Get this error message: failed to connect: Connection refused (10061). This is my errorlog:

[yomo@xx-xxx-xx-xxx ~]$ cat .vnc/xx-xxx-xx-xxx:1.log
    _XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not be created.
    _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.X11-unix) failed, errno = 2
    _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

Xvnc version 4.0 - built Jan 17 2007 14:52:53
    Underlying X server release 60801000, The X.Org Foundation

Thu Mar 13 23:04:44 2008
    vncext: VNC extension running!
    vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
    vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
    vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
    error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
    Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from li st!
    Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from li st!
    Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
    _X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for xx-xxx-xx-xxx: Name or s ervice not known
    Error: Couldn't connect to XServer

-Thanks

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #37
    Hey TCU,

I think the problem has to do with _X11TransSocketINETConnect(), you edited the hostname/ip from that line to "xx" right? I'm assuming "xx-xxx...." is your hostname, and _X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't connect is because your hostname isn't listed in /etc/hosts. So make sure the hosts file has it, type in Putty as root:
    # nano /etc/hosts

Make sure the file has:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    your.ip your.hostname

Edit: Then kill the vncserver, and start it again.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #38
    kloot's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    excellent tutorial naq!! I have my server already set up for months, but toing around with it now....going to install fluxbox/vnc

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #39
    Thank you very much naq. I've been following the tutorial word for word till now, but I'm stuck at number 7. The server always tells me(when I try to put in the openssl command): -bash: openssl: command not found
    I have a kimsufi with debian. Can someone tell me what I do wrong?

Edit: Just instelled openssl and it worked-_- Sometimes I am really stupendemous
    Last edited by kraudlem; 03-20-2008 at 01:08 PM.

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #40
    Good that you figured it out. I'll add a note to the guide. You can't anticipate all the little details like no openssl and incorrect hosts file.

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast