Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Thread: NaQ's Complete Setup Guide for Linux Seedboxes (Fedora Core/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu)

BANNED BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Great guide!!!
    Was about time to kick the fuckin win out of our boxes.
    I purchased an ubuntu server,i am following step by step your guide and when it comes to connect with VNC im gettin an error message.
    Lets say my ip is this:xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    In VNC im using this to connect:

xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1

unfortunately i get an error like this:

unable to connect to host,connection refused(10061)

Can anybody guess what im doing wrong?
    I am kindly asking for an answer from someone who is more experienced(it is my first time doing this).

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by iamKy666; 08-19-2008 at 02:42 PM.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #142
    obviously vnc isnt running...

if you're using debian/ubuntu, you should've typed

apt-get install tightvncserver

then type

vncserver
    (set the pw)
    then you're off

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #143
    When I start utorrent the log notify me of an error: Error opening Windows Firewall: 0x800700005 Errror -2xxxxxx Can I fix this by disabling in Utorrent menu: Add windows firewall exception?

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by n0_NaMe View Post
    Thanks for the great guide, it took me 15 minutes to setup my new leaseweb box. Everything is running fine except two things. When I launch tightvnc the screen is very small so I cant see the full desktop.
    Kill your vnc
    Code:
    killall Xvnc
    Then launch vncserver with the -geometry tag
    Code:
    vncserver -geometry 1860x1050
    and connect.
    My TightVNC viewer window is also pretty small, when I maximise i get black bars on each side.

This -geometry 1860x1050 resolution does that work on a 1280x1024 screen resulotion?
    Last edited by Jordi; 08-22-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #144
    ClodiuS's Avatar Custom User Title BT Rep: +2
    Thnx,awesome guide!Bookmarked!

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #145
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by kross View Post
    Just a few things about your tutorial:
    - (debian) When you're upgrading your system:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    is not sufficient, to upgrade kernel and other system programs, you need to do:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    Adding "-y" to the command will indicate that the system does not have to ask you questions and the defaut answer is "Yes".
    - changing ports for FTP and SSH is not the best solution to counter cracking attempts.
    There are so many programs which can tell you how to find opened ports and what service is runned on each of them. A better solution would be fail2ban. "You send me garbage? Ok, I'll ban you for a specific period." I suggest to anyone interested in security to do some searches on fail2ban.
    - According to your tutorial, there are things you can only do with root. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but the way you defined the user "pirate" in /etc/sudoers tells to the system "pirate" with the sudo command can do everything on the system. In fact, pirate is another administrator on the machine. Same priviledges in fact.
    - What's the purpose of copying the public key of the root in his own ~/.ssh/authorized_keys? An administrator needs to do "ssh localhost" and connect without typing the password? "su -" will be more efficient and "> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys" will just create an empty "~/.ssh/authorized_keys".

Hope this will help you to make your tutorial better!
    I haven't visited FST for a while... very surprised this is moved to a new section. I apologized to those who ran into troubles following the guide, especially those who sent PMs and didn't receive replies. I tried to make it as foolproof as possible, but with the different OSes (and versions), it's kinda impossible. I'll stick around to see what needs to be fix and improve.

reply to kross:

dist-upgrade: I thought upgrade was enough, there's no need to mess around with the system.

ports: from my own experience, I thought changing ports was enough, but if fail2ban or similar programs are easy enough to install, I'll add them some day.

sudo: yeah, the whole guide is about operating under a user, until the firewall section where the user needs sudo to run the firewall software, which I don't want but didn't see a way around. I know that "su" to root can't configure iptables, but not sure if "sudo" can.

authorized_keys: not sure what you're saying here, I thought the delete authorized_keys section was quite clear.

Thanks for all the replies.

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #146
    Having trouble accessing the webgui. I put in the correct login name and password but it just keeps loading and that is it.
    In my xterm window I see this message everytime I try to access my webgui:

WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.

Anybody have any clue as to what is causing this?

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #147
    BTW I am using Debian and also for some reason Firefox is not showing up on my menu in Fluxbox.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #148
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I'll update the guide to use uTorrent 1.8 along with the newer version of WebUI this weekend.

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #149
    mmikz0's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    This helped me so much i can't even say how much i appreciate it.

THANK YOU!
    aim: cmmaster3

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #150
    I bypassed all the problems I posted by just switching my OS from Debian to Fedora 8, and the things that I chose to use worked. Thanks for the guide.

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast